DonorsChoose is looking for a data-driven Product Manager to play a critical role in improving our product experience. As a key contributor to our organization’s success, you’ll work closely with our entire team (including designers, developers, user researchers, and stakeholders across the organization) throughout the product lifecycle to prioritize features, drive product development, and iterate to deliver an incredible experience for our teachers and donors. Our ideal candidate is a strong data analyst and loves seeing projects through to the finish.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate closely with our engineers, designers, and UX researchers to scope, build, and launch new features and product improvements.
- Analyze data to monitor site health, feature success, and A/B tests to ensure we’re meeting our business goals.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders around our org and advocate for their needs in the product.
- Help inform strategy and prioritization with our product leadership team.
- Define product requirements and manage project implementation.
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of web & mobile product management (or equivalent) experience.
- Data, data, data. You excel at retrieving, aggregating and analyzing data from multiple sources and can draw meaningful conclusions from your analyses that tie back to business or product goals.
- You have experience with analytics tools such as Looker, Tableau, etc
- Familiarity with web analytics and event data (Heap, Google Analytics, or equivalent)
- A strong bias towards action, someone who is confident when making tough calls.
- Comfort in ambiguity - when there isn’t a clear path forward you can experiment and take risks to help us find clarity.
- Tech-savviness - you enjoy detailed conversations with developers and are quick to pick-up new tools.
- The ability to simplify complexity - you can take ideas and lead the team towards solutions that efficiently achieve our goals.
- You're organized, efficient, know how to ruthlessly prioritize and wrangle many stakeholders.
- Excellent self-management skills and ability to work independently.
- A passion for education, equity, or social good.
- Strong beliefs loosely held -- advocate for your point of view, but be open to having your mind changed.
About the Team
The Product, Engineering, and Data team at DonorsChoose does important mission-driven work, helping to address educational inequity in US public schools, but we operate more like a fast-paced startup than a traditional nonprofit (we ship weekly!). The Product Manager will join our team (2 other PMs, 3 product designers, 2 UX researchers) to improve the on-site experience for our user base of donors and public school teachers, directly impacting the educational outcomes for students across the US.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a teacher in need, moving us closer to a nation where students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
Since 2000, more than 5 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. Projects range from art supplies to build the set for a school musical, to books and puzzles that affirm students’ identities, to bird seed for an at-home science project. We proudly serve all US public schools, public charter schools, and Head Start centers, and we combat systemic inequity by driving a majority of donations to schools that have been historically underfunded due to economic and racial inequity.
DonorsChoose has been recognized as a best place to work by GOOD Magazine and the Nonprofit Times, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our dedicated team works from across the United States bring classroom dreams to life.
Compensation and Benefits
Our compensation philosophy ensures that we are both externally competitive with tech-forward nonprofits of a similar size and internally fair in our pay practices. The following ranges represent the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
- The hiring salary range for this role is $90,000 - $108,000
- We have a hiring salary range of $100,000 - $120,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Once employees are hired, the salary range for their role increases to ensure that employees are able to receive performance-based raises and grow in their role. We are open to a variety of experiences, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that’s the case, an updated salary range will be shared with candidates if they move forward in our hiring process.
In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, ME, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VA, WA, or WI.
Candidates who are not in the NYC area should expect to travel to our NYC office on an as-needed basis, about 4-6 times per year. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the organization and proper safety precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Dan Betz, Vice President of Product & Design.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.