Deputy Research Director
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Reports to: Senior Director, Campaigns Research
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
FLSA Status: Exempt
Union Position: No
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Deputy Research Director to join our Campaigns team. The Deputy Research Director’s primary responsibilities will be to manage and assess the day-to-day research needs of the State and Local Campaigns team and associated campaigns.
At EMILYs List, you’ll be part of a dynamic team committed to electing Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot. Read on for more details about the job and about EMILYs List.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead vetting projects on candidate on specific issues areas, primarily focusing on reproductive health issues, using Nexis, legislative vote databases, campaign finance filings, and various search tools;
- Edit and approve all research on potential EL-endorsed candidates at the state and local level as well as materials used for communications, development, and the endorsement process;
- Manage and conduct internal research projects, especially with regards to rapid response and policy-oriented tasks
- Serve as point of contact for targeted campaigns and identify and complete original research projects;
- Lead special projects including tracking campaign finance filings, legislation, legislative calendars, election results, and rapid response requests
- Assist with supervision of research assistants and support research assistants by overseeing their workflow, reviewing work product and providing edits
- Lead supervision and hiring of campaigns research interns and support campaigns research interns by overseeing their workflow, reviewing work product, providing edits and mentorship
- Assist with any other assignments and tasks as requested by the Campaigns Department
- Four years minimum experience in a campaign research capacity or significant experience in a political environment
- Knowledge of Nexis, campaign finance and legislative databases, voracious appetite for current events
- Excellent research skills and attention to detail, precision, organization including the ability to fact-check with precision and calm during high-volume, fast-paced periods
- Strong writing and grammar skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with campaigns across the country Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other programs to track and present data effectively a plus
- Proactive, creative self-starter with a hunger to expand the EMILYs List community, win elections, and build a sustainable, progressive America
- All candidates should possess commitment and passion to elect Democratic pro-choice Women, as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
The salary for this position is $83,000 - $96,700and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. This position is a hybrid position based in the DC Office and is required to work at least 3 days per week in the office.
About EMILYs List
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, works to elect Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot and across the country with a goal of fighting for our rights and our communities. Our work is centered around a fundamental vision: Run. Win. Change the World. EMILYs List has raised $850 million in service to that vision and has helped Democratic women win competitive elections by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running one of the largest independent expenditure operations for Democrats, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 175 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 20 governors, and over 1,500 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Visit www.emilyslist.org for more information.
EMILYs List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILYs List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILYs List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
See more open positions at EMILY's List
Something looks off?