Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Accounting & Finance
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
FLSA Status: Exempt
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Payroll and Benefits Specialist to join our HR and Operations team.
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist plays an integral role in the Human Resources function. The Payroll and Benefits Specialist ensures accurate payroll and efficient benefits administration and works closely with the HR and Operations Coordinator.
Essential Job Functions
- Processes semi-monthly payroll processing;
- Administers benefit enrollment elections and ensures accurate deduction reconciliation;
- Manages annual retirement plan audit and coordinates with accountants;
- Liaise with Benefit brokers, plan advisors, and other benefit plan providers;
- Communicates important payroll and benefits notifications, reminders, and changes to staff;
- In concert with the Chief Administrative Officer, manages the annual open enrollment process ensuring that all rates are updated, and systems are accurately reflected;
- Ensures EMILYs List is compliant with all state and federal laws and regulations;
- Ensures that state tax (and other municipalities) requirements are met with payroll provider;
- Ensures timesheets are submitted and approved timely;
- Conducts new hire orientation and coordinates staff onboarding and offboarding process;
- Assists with the recruiting process to include conducting social media vets and background checks;
- Assists the Deputy Director of HR and Operations with the annual performance review process;
- Manages union dues administration and communicates with union representatives as required.
- Manages HR archive process;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate must have a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience including processing payroll and administering benefit plans
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, work with a sense of urgency and meet tight deadlines while handling complex and confidential issues that require resolution
- Strong knowledge of HR best practices, employment laws and experience setting up new states for tax purposes
- The candidate must have strong attention to detail;
- Experience using HRIS systems, experience with Paylocity HRIS is a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff
- A PHR or SHRM-CP certification is a plus.
- All candidates should possess commitment and passion to elect Democratic pro-choice Women, as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
The salary range for this position is $63,000 - $67,900 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. This position is based in the DC office with a hybrid schedule requiring at least 3 days per week in office.
About EMILYs List
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, works to elect Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot and across the country with a goal of fighting for our rights and our communities. Our work is centered around a fundamental vision: Run. Win. Change the World. EMILYs List has raised $850 million in service to that vision and has helped Democratic women win competitive elections by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running one of the largest independent expenditure operations for Democrats, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 175 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 20 governors, and over 1,500 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Visit www.emilyslist.org for more information.
EMILYs List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILYs List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILYs List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.