State & Local Regional Director
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
Reports to: Senior Director, State and Local Campaigns
Supervisory Responsibilities: NONE
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Union Position: YES
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Regional Director to join our State and Local team. The Regional Director is principally responsible for determining state-based and down ballot strategy, recruiting, training, supporting, and assessing campaign strategies for Democratic pro-choice women who are running for constitutional, state legislative, and key local offices.
At EMILYs List, you’ll be part of a dynamic team committed to electing Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot. Read on for more details about the job and about EMILYs List.
Essential Job Functions
- Identify, recruit, support, and advise women candidates for state and local office, with a strategic focus on down ballot statewide offices, legislative swing seats, and Democratic open seat opportunities;
- Develop state-specific plans to both increase the number and diversity of women in elected office, and to maximize EMILYs List support for candidates in targeted states;
- Create strategic, long-term electoral plans to protect and flip legislative seats in priority states;
- Assess candidates and campaign staff of EMILYs List races on the fundamental mechanics it takes to build a winning campaign plan, and work with them to develop and refine those skills;
- Assess campaigns, including their ability to develop campaign plans and budgets, paid and earned communication strategy, finance, and field programs, in partnership with state caucus programs and in-state allied groups;
- Develop strong relationships with state legislative caucus leadership, in-state labor leaders, leaders in the choice community and other allied organizations to recruit and elect more women to run for key offices;
- Provide recommendations for endorsements and candidate contributions;
- Offer strategic guidance to campaigns;
- Create and foster mentoring opportunities for women to advance in political leadership;
- Conduct trainings for women candidates and women considering running for office in targeted areas;
- Strengthen opportunities to expand EMILYs List membership in states;
- Provide political insight to Senior Leadership about in-state activities;
- Travel as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Results-oriented, a self-starter, and excellent interpersonal skills, strategic thinking, communication skills, adaptability, and attention to detail.
- Six to eight years of campaign and electoral experience and a thorough understanding of state politics.
- Served as a campaign manager and or caucus director for at least two election cycles OR served as senior staff on a large-scale campaign for at least two election cycles;
- Worked directly with state legislative house or senate caucuses or other state or local organizations;
- Worked directly with candidates and or elected officials and has principal management experience;
- Experience building relationships with individuals and organizations outside of the campaign leadership;
- Thorough understanding of key differences between federal, statewide and local races;
- Worked closely as or with finance directors or staff on campaigns and familiar with finance plans and income;
- Has worked directly with or managed consultants for at least one cycle;
- Has written and executed a campaign, finance or political plan and budget on multiple campaigns;
- Strong understanding or hands-on experience in long-term candidate or movement work;
- Proven experience prioritizing and working on multiple projects at once.
- All candidates should possess commitment and passion to elect Democratic pro-choice Women, as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
The salary for this position is $98,100 - $122,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
This position is expected to work remotely from an electoral priority state (preferred states for this role may include, but are not limited to: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Hampshire, Maine, Texas) with access to a major airport. Our office is based in Washington, DC.
About EMILYs List
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, works to elect Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot and across the country with a goal of fighting for our rights and our communities. Our work is centered around a fundamental vision: Run. Win. Change the World. EMILYs List has raised $850 million in service to that vision and has helped Democratic women win competitive elections by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running one of the largest independent expenditure operations for Democrats, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 175 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 20 governors, and over 1,500 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Visit www.emilyslist.org for more information.
EMILYs List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILYs List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILYs List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.