Deputy Director of Campaign Communications
Marketing & Communications
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Supervisor: Senior Director of Campaign Communications
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
FLSA Status: Exempt
EMILY’s List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, is searching for a Deputy Director of Campaign Communications to join our Communications team. The Deputy Director of Campaign Communications promotes the mission of EMILY’s List and is an advocate for strong, pro-choice Democratic women candidates and elected officials throughout the country. The Deputy Director of Campaign Communications manages the organization’s positioning within the news of the day and capitalizes on creative opportunities for the organization and its candidates.
At EMILY’s List, you’ll be part of a dynamic team committed to electing Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot. Read on for more details about the job and about EMILY’s List.
Essential Job Functions
- Work directly with EMILY’s List endorsed federal candidates as needed to provide interview prep, media and debate training, crisis communications and strategic support as needed;
- Work with Campaigns Department to help with campaign communications efforts, interact directly with campaigns to provide resources, advise on strategic decisions;
- Work with campaigns and endorsed candidates to create effective media and messaging strategies;
- Act as communications hub for breaking news events; help initiate and manage organization’s rapid response;
- Collaborate with communications team and organization leadership to craft responses in a timely manner;
- Serve as a leader in time sensitive situations by advising leadership, planning communications strategies, and managing staff and resources to achieve organizational goals;
- Create opportunities and events showcasing EMILY’s List staff, accomplishments, endorsed candidates, and mission that generates positive press coverage in varied outlets;
- Be a proactive and quick thinking originator of stories to pitch on behalf of EMILY’s List and our endorsed candidates;
- Draft and deliver talking points and briefings for EL staff and candidates;
- Assist with media training, as needed;
- Serve as on-record spokesperson for the organization as needed;
- Oversee booking, pitching process within the organization;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience in a rapid response media environment;
- Four years of experience in communications and at least one cycle of campaign or campaign committee experience is strongly preferred;
- Experienced manager of people and processes;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and write quickly and in a compelling manner about multiple topics;
- Energetic ability to multi-task and manage projects in a fast-paced and changeable environment; willingness to invest multiple teams and stakeholders in communications efforts;
- Ability to use multiple mediums and approaches including new media to create multi-faced and effective campaigns;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- All candidates should possess commitment and passion to elect Democratic pro-choice Women, as well as a commitment to the diversity of our candidates, membership, partners, and staff.
The salary for this position is $83,000 - $96,700 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly. No calls, please.
Our office is based in Washington, DC. This position is eligible for full-time remote work, but will require travel.
About EMILYs List
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, works to elect Democratic pro-choice women up and down the ballot and across the country with a goal of fighting for our rights and our communities. Our work is centered around a fundamental vision: Run. Win. Change the World. EMILYs List has raised $850 million in service to that vision and has helped Democratic women win competitive elections by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running one of the largest independent expenditure operations for Democrats, and turning out women voters to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country’s first woman as vice president, 175 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 20 governors, and over 1,500 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. Visit www.emilyslist.org for more information.
EMILYs List is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
EMILYs List prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person holding this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. EMILYs List reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.