Account Director - Advertising
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by the creativity and passion of 120 professionals working across the country, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. A fast growing and award-winning agency, we lead the industry in diverse representation as 55% of our entire staff and 62% of our leadership team are people of color. We are women-led as 74% of our staff are women.
We are a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency. Fenton is a remote-forward agency where staff work primarily from home but also gather in person as needed in co-working spaces. Our staff are strategically located within a 35 mile radius of our strategic hubs; New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area regions.
We are currently seeking an Account Director within our advertising practice with a passion for making social change, with an emphasis on developing laser-sharp paid media strategies.
They will play a pivotal role in the strategic direction of our account work and business developmentactivities. This role requires a strategic thinker who can gain a deep understanding of the agency capabilities and has a strong background in online and offline media planning, ad-operations, as well as creative trafficking and storytelling.
The Account Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of assigned accounts and the cultivation of new business. This includes overseeing the development and implementation of integrated media plans, with a strong focus on traditional advertising, client budgets and serving as a relationship manager to clients.
They may supervise team members servicing each account in addition to other core staff members. Thisposition also comes with the expectation to provide recommendations that enhance the performance, culture, and future of the firm. The AD is also a leader that models to the staff our values of stewarding outstanding client work and collaboration within the firm.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Client Relations Expertise
- As a key client manager, oversee client relationships encompassing managing expectations, determining need to pivot and bringing in senior counsel for problem-solving
- Manage and develop integrated, data-driven advertising campaigns, including TV, radio, outdoor, programmatic display, social media, CTV
- Develop and oversee digital strategies for individual organizations as well as unique workstreams within larger cross-communications efforts
- Create a wide range of high-level communications products including strategic plans, proposals, creation of specific platforms, digital and social media messaging documents, etc.
- Provide strategic guidance to project teams to ensure quality of produced work.
Client and Account Management
- Provide the highest level of substantive counsel to clients to foster the relationship of a trusted advisor and ensuring clients receive regular status reports and budget updates
- Develop clear and concise reports and audits that break down complicated data into easy-to understand language while always keeping the client’s goals in mind
- Counsel both digitally nascent and sophisticated clients on digital best practices to reach their goals and KPIs
- Manage the intake of new projects, ranging from immediate to long-range time horizons, and effectively leverage staff and resources to accomplish client requests
- Provide day-to-day oversight of multiple large accounts including strategic counsel, quality control checks, and evaluation of account progress and client satisfaction
- Manage the profitability of clients and the billability and effectiveness of the respective teams; implementing corrective actions to improve performance, efficiency and profitability.
- Assume an office-wide role in training and mentoring staff
- Project hours needed from staff assigned to accounts, working with other senior staff to distribute billable hours among junior staff as necessary
- Work closely with reps from the platforms (Google, Facebook/Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat) to stay on top of best marketing practices and recommendations.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience as well as non-traditional educational paths
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in digital organizing, public interest advocacy, political campaign, or demonstrated equivalent experience in advocacy/political communications
- Proven track record of using integrated (traditional and digital) media tactics to help clients advance legislative, electoral, or public policy wins on a variety of issues
- Experience in a public relations or advertising agency highly desirable; firm understanding of client billing process, client contracts and customer service
- Experience planning and managing cross-channel integrated (digital and traditional) paid media campaigns across social media, programmatic, and search
- Understanding how to incorporate offline media vehicles (press-outreach, field, TV, radio, out-of-home, events, etc) into a holistic communications strategy.
- An expert in effective acquisition strategies and familiarity with advocacy CRMs such as EveryAction, and ActionNetwork
- Experience managing effective small-donor fundraising and retention strategies for c(3), c(4) and PAC clients with a track record of success.
- Background in managing effective direct messaging campaigns via email as well as broadcast and peer-to-peer SMS
- Tangible experience in conceptualizing and managing complex website development projects (knowledge of conversion-centered design principles a plus)
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated business development, including proposal development, pitching and landing new business skills
- 2-4 years’ staff management and mentoring experience, including direct management of a staff at varying careers levels
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines, and interact and perform in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors, and media
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignment
- A competitive salary against industry standards - commitment to pay equity practices - published salary bands across all levels
- Starting salary = $100,000
- Salary band for Account Director = $100,000 - $125,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
Fenton is an anti-racist and intersectional organization that prioritizes the needs of those who have been historically marginalized or oppressed. We do the work of creating positive social change as an act of repairing the harm done to those who have been and are currently disenfranchised across racial, gender, sexual orientation and preference, religious and other marginalized backgrounds. We are committed to doing work that is rooted in justice and equity, and continuing to learn how to do this work better.
_ We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of people of color, members of the LGBTQI+ community, people with disabilities and women. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work and believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers._