Development and Operations Associate
Florida Access Network
About Florida Access Network
Florida Access Network advocates for reproductive justice, funds abortion care, and provides logistical support to people experiencing barriers to accessing reproductive care in Florida. We’re working to create a network of grassroots and grasstops organizations across the State of Florida to increase access to abortion care and strengthen reproductive justice for every body.
Florida Access Network is on the lookout for a Development and Communications Associate to join the communications team. This individual will be a storyteller, strategic thinker, and a skilled communicator, project manager, collaborator, writer, and researcher. They should be capable of working independently, crafting content in various formats, using visual storytelling tools like Canva, and synthesizing complex information into clear narratives. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to reproductive, social, economic, and racial justice, with knowledge of abortion issues. Experience with abortion funds is a plus. This role, within the Operations Team, reports to the Director of Operations.
The position will work directly with the Director of Operations and closely with program team members to:
- Support day-to-day implementation of communications and advocacy work.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Community Engagement team for framing and messaging.
- Assist in developing communications pieces on sensitive subjects, including media materials, action alerts, and op-eds.
- Oversee donor data management, fundraising event planning, and donor research and outreach.
- Create and maintain online advocacy toolkits for external stakeholders.
- Work with the communications team to develop and implement annual communications plans and content strategies.
- Stay current on news and trends in abortion, reproductive justice, and the progressive movement.
- Translate research and policy analysis into impact stories and various content formats.
- Manage the monthly e-newsletter and uphold brand standards on all materials.
- Oversee FAN's website content and develop media pitch angles.
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Possess exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, including time management and task prioritization.
- Be a strategic thinker, planner, and collaborator with attention to detail.
- Embrace diverse ideas, prioritize choices aligned with strategic priorities, and adapt to evolving work.
- Bring a "can-do" attitude, innovation, and willingness to adapt.
- Be a good steward of relationships and thrive in an environment valuing equity, transparency, collaboration, and results.
- At least five years of experience in development communications, public policy, journalism, or related work.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Meticulous writing and editing skills in various formats.
- Research and planning skills, curiosity mindset, and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Proficiency in Google Workplace tools, Google Analytics, Adobe Acrobat, Slack, Canva, and social media platforms.
We seek candidates who are:
- Collaborative: You know that building true partnerships takes time, trust, and transparency. You understand the complexities of coalition work, including the inherent race, power, and privilege dynamics often present, and can address them. You also are collaborative with your co-workers: willingly sharing information and tasks to get a job done.
- Results and evaluation driven: You show relentless commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles. You are receptive to feedback and know that evaluating and re-adjusting is critical to long-term learning.
- Organized and flexible: You have a plan, but you can quickly adapt when needed. You understand the plan is better when you collaborate with those around you.
- Effective interpersonal skills: You have a proven ability to communicate effectively with different personalities to move projects forward.
- Strong time management skills: You can balance many projects at once and prioritize accordingly.
- Movement Focused: You have a demonstrated commitment to reproductive, social, economic, and racial justice.
What Else You Should Know
This position is full-time, remote, based in Florida, and requires 3-5 days of travel quarterly for staff-wide meetings, events, or professional development opportunities within Florida. The employee must work a variety of hours including daytime, some weekends, and evenings with written notice from their supervisor to support clients. FAN employees work a 40-hour work week with a paid 1-hour lunch.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $60,000. FAN currently offers its employees the option to participate in a full range of benefits, including a health care program that includes 50% employee-sponsored medical, dental, and vision for themselves and dependents, paid vacation time, sick time, covid sick time, paid parental leave, 14 paid holidays, mental health days and an organization-wide 2-week end of year closure. Other benefits include coverage of abortion care, non-merit-based yearly pay increases, and a monthly self-care stipend. Only candidates already living in Florida are eligible; no relocation support is available.
The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $60,000. FAN currently offers its employees the option to participate in a full range of benefits, including a health care program that includes 50% employee-sponsored medical, dental, and vision for themselves and dependents, paid vacation time, sick time, COVID sick time, paid parental leave, 14 paid holidays, mental health days and an organization-wide 2-week end of year closure. Other benefits include coverage of abortion care, non-merit-based yearly pay increases, and a monthly self-care stipend. Only candidates already living in Florida are eligible; no relocation support is available.
How to apply
Apply with your resume, writing sample, and a short personal statement about your vision for reproductive justice in Florida by February 29, 2024, via Idealist.
Florida Access Network is proud to be an inclusive equal-opportunity workplace and we are committed to fostering the leadership of people impacted by reproductive violence and oppression. All applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to sex, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender (including gender identity or expression), sexual orientation, marital or partnership status, age, disability, height, weight, handicap, military or protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.