For the Many
COMMUNICATIONS LEAD OVERVIEW
Location: The position will be based in the Hudson Valley (Dutchess, Orange, Ulster County, or Columbia Counties).
Reports to: Political Director
Type of position: Full time, 40 hours, exempt
Compensation: $62,592 – $72,592. (please note: we practice a negotiations-free hiring process to prevent unjust compensation outcomes)
- Comprehensive Health Insurance: Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Generous Vacation Package: Including vacation days, comp time, sick days, and a two week long organizational break in December.
- Union Affiliation: For the Many is a unionized workplace. Union employees are represented by United For the Many, with Workers United Rochester Regional Joint Board.
- And more, including life insurance, 401k matching contributions, etc.
We are building a grassroots movement of everyday people to transform New York so it works for all of us. For too long, greedy corporations, billionaires, and political elites have rigged our country to work against us. We are coming together across race and age to fight for laws and win elections that put the power back in our hands and create lasting change.
MESSAGING STRATEGY & DEVELOPMENT
- Lead the development of the organization’s top-level communications strategy and messaging
- Develop messaging guides, talking points, and copy for use across the organization
- Manage rapid response efforts, drafts and releases statements in response to major news events
PRESS STRATEGY & EXECUTION
- Develop & carry out an effective press strategy for our issue and electoral campaigns
- Write high-quality, impactful copy for press outreach materials, opinion pieces, and statements
- Identify opportunities to advance the organization’s narrative and campaigns in local, state, and national media
- Build relationships with local, state, and national reporters and manage through databases
- Develop and manage media training for staff and members
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with and collaborate with the Digital Lead on social media, content creation, and website management
- Work closely with leadership, political, and organizing teams
- Participate in organizational activities, including recruiting volunteers and soliciting donors from your existing social networks, supporting organizing efforts through phonebanking, canvassing, and facilitation, and engaging with staff culture building
- The position will often require work on evenings and weekends
- The position will require at least 3 days per week in one of our offices (Kingston, Middletown, Newburgh, and/or Poughkeepsie)
- This position will require a car and valid driver’s license to be able to travel by car
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- 3+ years of volunteer and/or paid experience with press, messaging, or other communications work
- Alignment with our mission and values and a strong passion for organizing for social change
- Ability to develop strategy and plans for short, medium, and long-term projects
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills with attention to detail
- Highly organized, ability to manage many moving parts and prioritize accordingly
- Goal-driven, detail-oriented, self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Willingness to tackle problems, generate smart and creative interventions, experiment, and learn from failure
- Commitment to an organizational culture that is grounded in emotional awareness, proactive and direct communication, generative feedback and debate, and support and accountability.
- Familiarity with New York State and/or Hudson Valley political landscape
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
Please apply at https://airtable.com/appuzAIlMBqKKlVfJ/shrC8LAGBXLzEbfZr
People of color, gender oppressed people, working class people, LGBTQ people, and immigrants are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We sincerely regret that we may not be able to respond to all applicants.