Finance Payments Associate
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Location: This role is remote but should be based in Rwanda or Morocco.
Job Type: Fixed-term Contract
This will be a 6-month contract with a possibility of renewal, subject to funding and performance.
About this role
The finance team currently supports all financial activities in 10 countries in Africa. As a member of the global finance team, the role will be leading finance and payments for our programs and stakeholders.
You will report to the Payments lead and will work with colleagues in the finance team to deliver on organizational goals.
We are looking for someone with a payments background, strong analytical skills, strong collaborator and communicator, an endless drive for improvement, a solutions-oriented mindset, an ability to deliver high-quality finance support on tight deadlines, and the flexibility to adapt to quickly changing needs while being highly detail-oriented. The ability to speak either French or Arabic (or both) would be an added advantage.
Reports to: Finance Manager
What you’ll do:
- Manage the payment cycles including issuing payments and resolving exceptions using standard and efficient methods for the countries assigned.
- Implement efficient payment processes for GD operations in assigned countries.
- Participate actively in building out the payment structures and processes based on the best practices.
- Promote a strong, professional relationship with the stakeholders including organization’s financial institutions in order manage operational processes, resolve exceptions and execute complex international transactions.
- Provide support to the Finance team as required in order to meet the department’s objectives.
- Help run country finance operations eg. Petty cash counts, asset counts, finance liaison with authorities (tax, statutory filings), etc.
Monitor Risk / Compliance
- Understand, advise and implement controls and compliance requirements both internally as well as with external stakeholders like tax regulators and payment partners.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3+ years of professional experience in accounting or finance, with a strong experience in a payments role
- Competence in Excel and financial & accounting software (e.g. Intacct, QuickBooks).
- Proven experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, or matrix work environment.
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- Language Requirement: Fluency in English, French or Arabic
- We have a strong preference for candidates who are fluent in French
- Ability to travel ~1-2 times per year to one of our countries of operation for team retreats or field visits
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The base salary for this role is $900-$1500 USD per month for Rwanda and Morocco-based candidates.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary, including bonus
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Something looks off?