Operations and Finance Specialist
Note: Apply by June 1, 2022. Please reach out to Kellie at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Location in Oakland, CA.
Grounded Solutions Network is a national nonprofit dedicated to shaping communities to be equitable, inclusive and filled with opportunity for all. Where we live matters. It determines what opportunities we have and how our kids grow up. Everyone should be able to live in a place that offers opportunity: access to jobs, parks, public transit, quality schools and stable homes. Strong and inclusive communities provide the foundation that people and families need to thrive, both in the present and for future generations.
As a national membership organization, we support nonprofit and government practitioners, community resident leaders, advocates, elected officials, and other housing professionals with the tools and knowledge they need for success. We promote the creation and preservation of quality housing that remains affordable for generations. Our work specifically targets creating and expanding housing with lasting affordability, using a racial equity lens.
Grounded Solutions Network is committed to fostering an organizational culture rooted in critical thinking and consciousness about race and class. We seek candidates who are dedicated to achieving racial equity as both a process and outcome. We are committed to building a staff team that is as racially and culturally diverse as the communities that we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the Position
The Operations and Finance Specialist supports a broad range of finance and operations functions, which could include: finance and accounting, grants management and reporting, contracts, human resources, legal administration, risk management, and IT. They primarily report to the Director of Operations, but also to Executive Staff for specific duties and work closely with others in the Operations department to serve staff and stakeholders and meet the operational needs of the organization. The Operations and Finance Specialist plays a key role in implementing and designing operational processes, tools, and systems to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization.
The Operations and Finance Specialist makes a positive contribution to the organizational culture and is vested in furthering its racial equity goals. They actively participate in team and employee meetings, retreats, or initiatives, seek opportunities to improve efficiencies and contribute to creativity, innovation, collaboration, and problem solving throughout the organization.
- Leads and implements accounts receivables activities - prepares, sends, and follows up on outgoing invoices, tracks payments, reviews monthly aging reports; processes credit card payments and check deposits.
- Leads and implements accounts payable activities - processes invoices, reviews coding, reviews employee reimbursement requests, reconciles company credit card statements.
- Provides documents to support annual audit and tax filing requirements.
- Manages key accounting systems, including but not limited to credit card merchant/processor, donation form, invoice/expense platform, and chart of accounts.
Grants/Contracts Set-up, Budget Monitoring, Administration (30%)
- Assists staff in contracting with vendors and consultants by drafting contract materials, collecting required contract documents including W9s, insurance certificates, and other corresponding attachments.
- Oversees contract conformance review process; tracks contract expenditure data, contractual documents, amendments, and invoices.
- Assist with grants, contracts & proposal preparation and support by providing organizational documents and other requested attachments. Performs filing, archiving, and other associated close-out procedures.
- Oversees budget monitoring and administration for selected grants.
- Maintains and updates system to file and track state registrations. Liaises with external vendors and/or government agencies to support this work.
General Operations Support, Special Projects and Other (40%)
- Supports events such as staff retreats, including event planning logistics, tracking expenses and payments, etc.
- Provides project management assistance and supports strategic thinking to design and implement improved finance and operational systems to increase organizational efficiency.
- Provide support to other programs and departments as needed.
- Support other activities as needed such as providing hiring support, training, and participating in organizational committees.
- Communicates operational policies and procedures for internal and external audiences by drafting written content, conducting training, and/or presentations.
- Manages supplies, opens mail, interfaces with organizational vendors, performs electronic filing/data entry and other general office needs.
Qualifications for Entry into this Position:
- Mid-level contributor with 3+ years of related work experience
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills including meticulous attention to detail; accuracy and timeliness in record keeping and follow through
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to take ownership and provide project management support for portions of complex projects
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, especially Word and Excel and willing to learn new technologies
- Experience with accounting software (e.g. Concur) and customer database software (e.g. Salesforce) a plus
- Strong discretion, integrity, ethics, and confidentiality
- Demonstrates strong judgement, flexible, accommodating, calm under pressure
- Able to work independently and execute tasks with general supervision
- Able to manage details in fast paced environment, well organized, able to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Flexibility to be both a team player and a self-starter, comfortable in a supporting role and in working independently
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse communities.
Starting Salary Range
$50k to 65k annually, commensurate with experience.
Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, matching 401k and paid time off. Supportive, stimulating and collaborative environment with passionate colleagues dedicated to building community, equity and justice. Opportunities for professional growth and development.
Approximately 2-4 trips per year of domestic out-of-state, as needed, to attend conferences, regional convenings, and company meetings.
GSN’s mandatory vaccine guidelines require all employees to be fully vaccinated by their start date. At this time, GSN defines “fully vaccinated” to mean that two weeks have passed since a second dose of the 2-dose series for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. A current employee or applicant (i) who has a disability or qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, (ii) whose sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice conflicts with the vaccination requirement, or (iii) who qualifies for an exemption under applicable state or local law may request an exemption from this vaccination policy.
This position is based in Oakland, CA. Due to COVID-19 impacts, employees are primarily working remotely until it is safe to fully return to the office, but applicants must be willing to transition to an office or co-working location when it is safe to do so. All staff are expected to demonstrate the ability to work remotely while maintaining high levels of efficiency and productivity and communicating effectively with their direct supervisor and colleagues. Salary of $50,000 - $65,000 + benefits.