Reports to: Director of Communications
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Grounded Solutions Network is a national nonprofit dedicated to shaping communities to be equitable, inclusive, and filled with opportunity for all. Where we live matters. It determines what opportunities we have and how our kids grow up. Everyone should be able to live in a place that offers opportunity: access to jobs, parks, public transit, quality schools and stable homes. Strong and inclusive communities provide the foundation that people and families need to thrive, both in the present and for future generations.
As a national membership organization, we support nonprofit and government practitioners, community resident leaders, advocates, elected officials, and other housing professionals with the tools and knowledge they need for success. We promote the creation and preservation of quality housing that remains affordable for generations. Our work specifically targets creating and expanding housing with lasting affordability, using a racial equity lens.
Grounded Solutions Network is committed to fostering an organizational culture rooted in critical thinking and consciousness about race and class. We seek candidates who are dedicated to achieving racial equity as both a process and outcome. We are committed to building a staff team that is as racially and culturally diverse as the communities that we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the Position:
We seek a dynamic Communications Specialist who is passionate about the role transformative communications plays in advancing social justice issues at the intersection of affordable housing and racial justice. We are looking for a multi-faceted candidate who will help develop and execute successful email marketing campaigns, social media posts, website updates, and more. The Communications Specialist will implement a broad array of communications activities, including content creation for social media and newsletters, website oversight and maintenance, and writing and editing. The Specialist may also support strategic communications planning and media and/or external relations. This position is supervised by the Director of Communications and will work closely with the Senior Communications Specialist. In addition, the Specialist contributes to internal and external projects and, with support from the Senior Communications Specialist, manages consultants as needed to achieve program objectives and increase operational effectiveness. The ideal candidate possesses excellent writing, organizational, and problem-solving skills. They are a creative, results-driven team player, with the ability to manage multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and a track record for supporting work and causes that advance racial justice.
- In collaboration with Senior Communications Specialist, develop, design, layout, and publish content for marketing emails, newsletters, and e-blasts in alignment with industry best- practices.
- In collaboration with Director of Communications, create and publish weekly social media content.
- Support communications department activities to strengthen coordination of projects with other Grounded Solutions departments, members, and consultants.
- Provide general oversight of Grounded Solutions Network’s website entities, with updates and maintenance as needed.
- Contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of internal communications outreach and engagement calendar.
- Assist in the drafting and editing of select written content for messaging and consistency in tone and style.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
Qualifications for Entry into this Position
Grounded Solutions believes that our team should reflect, respect, and understand the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and experiences of the communities that we serve. We strongly encourage people of color, people of all gender identities, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates to apply. Not sure if you meet all the qualifications below? That is okay; if you are truly excited by this position, we encourage you to apply anyway! Studies have shown that men apply for jobs when they only meet 60% of the qualifications, but women only apply if they meet 100% of them.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- At least 3 years of relevant communications work experience covering the breadth of work responsibilities listed above.
- Knowledge of and experience with email marketing software (i.e., Campaign Monitor).
- Knowledge of social media best practices for business (across Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter)and familiarity with using social media management tools like Hootsuite.
- Experience tracking website and/or social media analytics and reporting trends.
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress, or similar website content management systems.
- Experience using project/team management systems (i.e., Asana, Monday, Wrike) or the like.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, teamwork, and project management skills.
Approximately 2-4 trips per year of domestic out-of-state, as needed, to attend conferences, regional convenings, and company meetings.
Remote, flexible location. Grounded Solutions Network has two primary office locations in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC, with additional staff working from home or co-working spaces throughout the contiguous 48 states. Candidates must have direct local access to a major airport. All staff are expected to demonstrate the ability to work remotely while maintaining high levels of efficiency and productivity and communicating effectively with their direct supervisor and colleagues.
Starting Salary Range
$50k-65k annually, commensurate with experience.
GSN’s mandatory vaccine guidelines require all employees to be fully vaccinated by January 1, 2022, or their start date, whichever is later. At this time, GSN defines “fully vaccinated” to mean that two weeks have passed since a second dose of the 2-dose series for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. A current employee or applicant (i) who has a disability or qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, (ii) whose sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice conflicts with the vaccination requirement, or (iii) who qualifies for an exemption under applicable state or local law may request an exemption from this vaccination policy.
Join our team and build your career with us! We offer:
- Supportive, stimulating, and collaborative environment with passionate colleagues dedicated to building community and equity.
- Opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, matching 401k, andpaid time off.
How to Apply: Please submit, as 1 document (PDF or word), a cover letter (highlighting qualifications, skills, interest in the position), resume, and one short work sample (writing sample, email marketing and/or social media campaign content example) at the link below. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. The anticipated start date for this position is by July 5, 2022.