Strategic Director of Operations and Development
L. Norwood & Associates
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to hr@LanaeNorwood.com
Who We Are
L. Norwood & Associates is a rapidly growing, Black woman-led, boutique consulting firm specializing in strategy, communications, digital, and capacity building for nonprofits and political issue campaigns. We are a lean and powerful team making an impact by supporting initiatives and organizations that engage, center, and uplift opportunities to strengthen Black, Indigenous, Latine/x/o, AAPI, and People of Color communities. We’re interested in finding passionate people who can continue to mature and grow alongside our organization and mission.
We are not your typical big-box consultants. Instead, our team consists of passionate and experienced storytellers, visual artists, digital experts, developers, organizers, and activists who use our talents to support organizations and initiatives that increase opportunity, access, belonging, justice, safety, and equity in Black, Indigenous, Latine/x/o, AAPI, and People of Color (BILAPOC) communities.
We see our work as a vehicle to help advance social justice, and we believe culturally responsive strategies, communications, content, and programs are critical to dismantling systemic racism. Therefore, our team is deeply invested in developing targeted strategies that win, contribute residual benefits for communities, and impact systems change. We are movement builders.
We have Southern California roots but serve clients nationwide. We are a stable and growing start-up founded in 2019 by marketer, strategist, and national organizer, Lanae Norwood. So if you are looking for a small but high-performing team committed to using our talents to impact positive social change, then in the words of our extraterrestrial friend E.T., “phone home!”
Who You Are
You are a self-starter that eagerly anticipates the next steps of operational needs. You don't wait for someone to give you all the answers; you seek and find the best solutions and implement them. You see yourself as a steady compass who can help guide a creative consultancy's operations and development future while helping translate visions into traction. You can assist a high-performing, multi-functional team in a fast-paced environment while performing your responsibilities promptly and efficiently. You are enthusiastic and enjoy traveling 2-3 times per quarter to the office and various locations in Southern California. You love a hybrid environment because you can accomplish your best work at home but still love to convene and occasionally create in person.
About the Position
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in operational duties. A bonus would be to have experience working for California-based BILAPOC initiatives such as progressive praxis in racial justice, criminal justice transformation/ abolition, housing, and worker rights. The The Strategic Director of Operations and Development (SDOD) must be aware of California policies, politics, and social issues, regardless of their state of residency.
The position will primarily consist of managing various operational tasks, staff members, and vendors who need their questions answered and solved. The Strategic Director of Operations and Development (SDOD) will be a key partner to the CEO and represent the organization in all aspects. Using the current strategic planning process and subsequent plans as a framework and guide, the SDOD is charged with understanding, addressing, and coordinating the needs and activities identified in L. Norwood & Associates’ planning process. The SDOD will work with the CEO to plan and manage priorities that deepen L. Norwood & Associates’ impact and support organizational growth, building and improving needed systems across the organization. In addition, the SDOD will share in the organization’s work to advance racial equity and anti-oppression in its operations and practices and proactively identify opportunities to advance equitable practices.
The SDOD will also be able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and will share and solicit ongoing feedback and conversations to advance our work.
Strategy & Operations
- Support the CEO in translating strategy into operational plans by helping to set and implement short-term and long-term milestones and goals.
- Provide strategic support, advice, and guidance to the CEO, including preparation of materials for internal and external meetings.
- Work with staff across initiatives to ensure consistency and integration.
- Understand trends in philanthropy, community economic development, andimpact investing to ensure alignment between organizational strategic planningand broad organizational work.
- Partner to drive operational excellence across the organization, creating systemsand processes to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, transparency, and a positiveculture.
- Support learning and development objectives for the organization related toequity. Must have a demonstrated history of equity-based projects.
- Providing top-notch assistance, such as writing and editing emails, drafting memos, and preparing communications on the executive's behalf.
- Maintaining comprehensive and accurate records.
- Setup and maintain an internal CRM system.
- Oversees the executive’s calendar and emails. Also, keeps track of criticalreporting deadlines.
- Provide client relations support for follow-up requests and customerappreciation (holidays, birthdays, etc.)
- Act as the primary point of contact for all inbound requests.
- Performing accounting duties such as creating and reconciling budgets, runningreports, processing payroll, paying expenses and invoices, etc.
- Arrange travel accommodations and process expense forms.
- Sourcing, procurement, and management of supplies, tools, and softwareneeded to improve organizational efficiency.
Human Resource Related
- Advises the development and administration of plans and policies for human resource activities.
- Develops, revises, and implements HR policies and procedures.
- Ensures the company complies with established policies and procedures and relevant federal, state, or local legislation.
- Co-designs, develops and drafts job descriptions, RFPs, and other human capital-related roles.
- Provides candidate screening, scheduling, and coordination.
- Organizes and maintains personnel records.
- Updates internal databases (e.g., record sick or maternity leave.)
- Prepares HR documents, like employment contracts and new hire guides.
- Liaise with external partners, like insurance vendors, and ensure legalcompliance.
- Create regular reports and presentations on HR metrics. (e.g., turnover rates.)
- Answer employees' queries about HR-related issues; assist payroll personnel byproviding relevant employee information. (e.g., leaves of absence, sick days, andwork schedules); participate in HR project (job fair event)
- Develop and implement employee and vendor evaluation methods.
- Help define, refine, and implement company culture and internal ecosystems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Develop and maintain a multi-tiered CRM
- Identify business opportunities and support with proposal development
- Respond to inbound and outbound sales inquiries
- Manage purchase orders and contract amendments
- Support with client pitches and other client-relational tasks
- Proven commitment to equity-based initiatives and a passion for racial justice
- A track record of working with underrepresented communities is required,particularly in BIPOC communities, with demonstrable cultural competency
- Communications, journalism, social media, writing, design, or other relevantexperience
- Be comfortable working with colleagues remotely - we maintain office space inthe Los Angeles area but are often on the move!
- Be a detail-oriented writer who can work across a variety of mediums for avariety of audiences
- Passion for addressing economic injustices.
- Experience with HR software, Asana, Monday, or other similar project management software; Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suites, or related software.
- An ability to work PST (8 am-5 pm or 9 am-6 pm PST)
- Thorough knowledge of labor laws and EEOC laws (California).
- Proven understanding of social justice and community-centered work.
- Experience and comfort working on bold racial justice campaigns that centerand unapologetically support Black, Indigenous, and communities of color.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, along with diplomacy, tact, and humor.
- Experience working on remote teams, ideally in a geographically dispersedcontext with a high standard of excellence and accountability.
- Entrepreneurial style, with enthusiasm for working in a dynamic, fast-pacedenvironment.
- Experienced in process development and project management.
- Internal team meeting management and facilitation experience.
- Ability to manage up, across, and down without formal reporting relationships.
- Ability to make meaning out of different datasets and communicate with variousstakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and proven ability to meetdeadlines and pay attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate.
- Note: relevant volunteer, grassroots, and short-term experience are acceptable -share it!
We are looking to build a long-term relationship with the right candidate. The SDOD position is remote 90% of the time and 10% in the office. Travel to in-person meetings in Southern California is required approximately 2-3 times a quarter, for 2-3 days per occasion. Travel schedules will be clearly defined and communicated. The compensation range is from $76,500 to $80,750 (depending on experience) per year for full-time exempt employment. We offer one of the most generous and competitive benefits packages with several perks for eligible employees:
- A $50 p/ month cell phone benefit,
- A $40 p/ month internet benefit,
- A $125 p/ month home office benefit,
- A $45 p/ month wellness benefit,
- Travel and accommodations to California are employer-covered,
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage,
- Employer paid-Life insurance benefit of $25,000,
- And investment options through a 401k with up to 6% company matching,
- Company-provided equipment: MacBook, printer, and accessories,
- Continued professional development opportunities, and
- A chance to mentor and develop the future of underestimated youth and toinvest your talents into growing BIPOC communities.
In addition, all employees qualify for generous vacation and sick time and some paid federal holidays, including a floating birthday holiday.
If you are interested, please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to hr@LanaeNorwood.com. Please no phone calls.
L. Norwood & Associates is an equal-opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, hair texture, or disability.
Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. L. Norwood & Associates will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with applicable laws. Justice-impacted applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
L. Norwood & Associates is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let our recruiting team know or email email@example.com.