Director of Communications
L. Norwood & Associates
TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to hr@LanaeNorwood.com
Who We Are
L. Norwood & Associates is a rapidly growing, Black woman-led, boutique consulting firm specializing in strategy, communications, digital, and capacity building for nonprofits and political issue campaigns. We are a lean and powerful team making an impact by supporting initiatives and organizations that engage, center, and uplift opportunities to strengthen Black, Indigenous, Latine/x/o, AAPI, and People of Color communities. We’re interested in finding passionate people who can continue to mature and grow alongside our organization and mission.
We are not your typical big-box consultants. Instead, our team consists of passionate and experienced storytellers, visual artists, digital experts, developers, organizers, and activists who use our talents to support organizations and initiatives that increase opportunity, access, belonging, justice, safety, and equity in Black, Indigenous, Latine/x/o, AAPI, and People of Color (BILAPOC) communities.
We see our work as a vehicle to help advance social justice, and we believe culturally responsive strategies, communications, content, and programs are critical to dismantling systemic racism. Therefore, our team is deeply invested in developing targeted strategies that win, contribute residual benefits for communities, and impact systems change. We are movement builders.
We have Southern California roots but serve clients nationwide. We are a stable and growing start-up founded in 2019 by marketer, strategist, and national organizer, Lanae Norwood. So if you are looking for a small but high-performing team committed to using our talents to impact positive social change, then in the words of our extraterrestrial friend E.T., “phone home!”
Who You Are
You are a nimble, polymathic, advanced communicator, marketer, coach, and relationship builder who can simultaneously oversee and manage a team on multiple projects. Reporting to the CEO, the Director for Communications oversees the day-to-day functions of team management and coaching, content production, account management, and quality assurance for L. Norwood & Associates clients. The Director for Communications further enhances the company’s local, regional, and national reputation as a partner of nonprofit organizations, progressive policymakers, large consulting firms, and grassroots initiatives working against social injustices. Also, you must simultaneously and strategically foster client relationships, manage the content team and support content development. This position leads and oversees the company’s work to produce communications strategies; narrative; digital marketing; brand development; social media strategy; web development; events; and a wide variety of creative content services for our clients. Your desire is to lead communications strategies for the company and our clients.
About the Position
The ideal candidate will have strong problem-solving, critical thinking, entrepreneurship skills, and strategic acumen to support sophisticated communications initiatives and projects. The Director of Communications must be an experienced leader with the knowledge, expertise, and poise to work effectively and proactively at all levels of the company. They are responsible for establishing and maintaining the strategic communications planning, project implementation, quality assurance, and customer satisfaction processes while supporting the organizational structure of the content development team. The Director must be nimble, self-directed, and possess superior written and verbal skills, as well as high emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, and experience working with a multifaceted interdependent team.
The Director of Communications is a leadership team member and serves as the primary contact for clients, staff, and vendors. They also meet regularly with the CEO to evaluate the attainment of business objectives, ensure consistency of deliverables, support business development, and evaluate communications content quality assurance. And since we are a small and mighty team, they will also regularly help develop copywriting and content to support client projects.
The Director of Communications will directly supervise teams and provide direction, support, training, and supervision for staff, vendors, and contractors. The work will be fast-paced, highly intellectual, interdependent, and sometimes ambiguous. A successful candidate must blend flexibility with strong assessment skills and attention to detail in operating through internal channels to complete projects.
- Manage and coach five or more staff members, contractors, and relevant vendors to execute projects and client deliverables.
- Oversee the development of compelling communications and marketing content for clients and internal projects.
- Act as a content strategist for client and internal projects. Support the planning and execution of public-facing events (such as webinars, panels, conferences, and convenings) by creating visual, marketing, and communications elements.
- Continue the vision of advancing racial and social justice through our work.
- Facilitate and conduct training as needed to position L. Norwood & Associates as a thought leader on multiple communication-related topics.
Business Development Support
- Develop new client relationships and foster existing client relationships.
- Develop proposals and pitch decks to drive business development goals.
- Identify and advance opportunities to expand our services with existing clients.
- Support internal strategic communications and marketing and the growth of the company.
- Develop new processes and refine existing processes to ensure quality control, efficiency, and team accountability.
- Design and lead innovative strategies for campaigns.
- Oversee and track client billables.
- Implement performance reporting and evaluation.
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications or a related field is required. Relevant work experience will be considered if education is in an unrelated field.
- 6-10 years of communications experience in the racial justice or progressive political field, at least 4 of which involved work with grassroots organizations.
- 2-4 years of supervisory experience.
- At least 5 years of experience leading communications strategic planning and implementation.
- Ability to think strategically and participate effectively as part of a campaign team.
- Excellent copywriting, proofreading, desktop publishing, verbal, visual/graphic, and communications skills. An eye for detail and an excellent sense of how copy and design work best together.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to clearly, consistently, and creatively employ various styles. Proven excellence in editing for conciseness, clarity, and tone, and the ability to communicate ideas constructively. Ensure the continuity of the L. Norwood brand voice across platforms.
- Experiencing developing and managing digital marketing campaigns.
- Experience managing various social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter (YouTube and TikTok preferred but not required).
- Working knowledge of website content management.
- Ability to work on multiple projects, coordinating work with others to produce projects on time.
- Ability to work within timelines under pressure and minimal supervision.
- Proven commitment to equity-based initiatives and a commitment and passion for racial and disability justice.
- A sophisticated level of knowledge of the needs and interests of local, national, and international news media. An understanding of and relationships with journalists in the California media market are preferred, but not required.
- Experience with communications for 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) organizations, or both, preferred but optional.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to maintain cooperative relationships and ongoing communications with clients and stakeholders of diverse social, educational, and cultural backgrounds.
- Exceptional level of analytical writing, editing, and strategic thinking skills to analyze information, prepare concise summaries, and communicate complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong organization skills and experience using project management tools to compile information efficiently and informally, manage project tasks, and track progress.
- Ability to multitask, triage work priorities, and adhere to organizational expectations of accuracy and attention to detail in a dynamic environment with competing needs.
- Familiarity with program and project evaluation and ability to evaluate and identify the impact of the organization's programs, projects, and research on internal and external stakeholders.
- Persuasive oral communication and public speaking skills to lead meetings, explain complex ideas to diverse audiences, build consensus, and influence decision-making by internal and external groups from all organizational levels.
- Demonstrated experience in formulating budgetary planning and prioritizing projects, programs, and activities, using sound judgment while meeting the organizational requirements and being accountable.
- Demonstrated experience creating and implementing a fundamental plan for successful internal and external communications and media outreach.
- Experience with communications strategy development and crisis management.
- Proven excellence in developing and implementing proactive communication strategies that support goals, events, and major programs and identifying and using resources to carry that effort.
- A track record of working with underrepresented communities is required, particularly in BIPOC communities, with demonstrable cultural competency. A bonus would be to have experience working boots on the ground with organizations that serve BILAPOC communities and a progressive political praxis in racial justice, criminal justice reform/ abolition, housing, and worker rights.
- You have demonstrated knowledge of all production phases in publications, from the editorial plan to final proof, from first layout to delivery, ability to work with confidential and sensitive matters with tact and professionalism.
- Strong computer skills in commonly used applications Google Workspace, databases, editing programs, and social media platforms.
- Working knowledge of web-based collaboration and project management systems, including WordPress, Asana, Slack, Google Drive, and Google Apps.
We are looking for a polymathic leader with a broad communications and management toolkit to grow within the leadership of our rapidly expanding company. The Director of Communications position is a hybrid-work-from-home position but with a strong preference for a southern California-based person who must be willing to travel.
In-office meetings and retreats will require this individual to be in-person for 20-30% of their time. The compensation range is up to $70,000-$78,000 annually for a salaried, full-time exempt associate working on average 35-40 hours per week. Employees will work in the Pacific time zone.
- A $50 p/ month cell phone benefit,
- A $40 p/ month internet benefit,
- A $125 p/ month home office benefit,
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage,
- Employer paid-Life insurance benefit of $25,000,
- Voluntary Long-term and Short-Term Disability,
- And investment options through a 401k with up to 6% company matching after one year of service.
- A company provided equipment: MacBook, printer, and accessories Aligned with our core values and commitment to supporting healthy lifestyles for all, all team members also receive a wellness stipend of up to $45 per month that can be applied to acupuncture, a gym membership, therapeutic massage, or another wellness-related activity. In addition, all employees qualify for generous vacation and sick time and some paid federal holidays, including a floating birthday holiday.
If you are interested, please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to hr@LanaeNorwood.com. Please, no phone calls.
L. Norwood & Associates is an equal-opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability.
Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. L. Norwood & Associates will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with applicable laws. Justice-impacted applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
L. Norwood & Associates is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please inform our recruiting team or email HR@lanaenorwood.com.