Freelance Digital Editor
United States · Remote
Posted on Thursday, September 8, 2022
At MissionWired, we help our partners create revolutionary fundraising strategies that advance their mission, change our country, and have a positive impact on the world.
MissionWired is the only wholly integrated direct marketing agency for nonprofits and Democratic organizations. We help our partners tell big, ambitious stories that invite their supporters into communities to raise mission-changing revenue. Our results are unrivaled, having converted more than $3.1 billion in donations to the world’s most trusted philanthropies and groundbreaking campaigns. We do it over email and SMS, in the mail, across social media, everywhere. We don’t think in terms of channels; we’re single-minded in pursuit of your success.
We’re innovative, progress-obsessed, do-gooders who care deeply about social change and continuing to push the limits on what we can accomplish together. We’ve brought strategies to life for nonprofit organizations working around the world, including Sandy Hook Promise, Human Rights Watch, The Humane Society of the U.S., Save the Children, and Friends of the Earth, as well as progressive political organizations, campaigns and candidates like President Biden’s re-election campaign and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC). Each cycle is an opportunity for us to support organizations across the country and elect Democrats to legislative bodies up and down the ballot.
We’re an equal-opportunity employer and take seriously our commitment to equality and equity. Our efforts to be inclusive and create opportunity don’t end when someone joins us – they begin.
We’ve set our sights on changing the world through our work and with our clients, and representation is at the foundation of what we do. We know that diversity of thought and background makes us stronger. That’s why we’re committed to building and maintaining a diverse community.
Every new team member broadens our perspective and allows us to think bigger. We’ll be at our best when people from underrepresented communities and people with a range of perspectives and lived experiences want to come, stay, and push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Overview: We are looking for a talented, ambitious self-starter with excellent editing and research skills to join our quality assurance freelance team. As a freelance digital editor, you’ll act as a critical fail-safe to ensure some of the biggest names in Democratic politics and world-changing nonprofits always put their best foot forward. This is the perfect job for anyone who feels passionately about progressive activism and believes the AP Stylebook is essential to survival. If that’s you, read on.
You will be responsible for:
- Editing fundraising and advocacy emails daily for accuracy, syntax, punctuation, grammatical and spelling errors, and typos;
- Fact-checking, fact-checking, fact-checking;
- Technical quality assurance on email tests and landing pages, including checking tracking, URLs, rendering, and general functionality;
- Ensuring emails are in line with both internal style and client-specific style, all while retaining a compelling, authentic voice; and
- Working with client teams, including technology and creative, to assist in managing resources and timelines on projects.
- At least one year in an editing-adjacent position or internship;
- Ability to work during days during the week, at least during the training period;
- Experience using a style guide (AP or otherwise);
- Discipline to read carefully, think critically, and strive for perfection;
- Ability and willingness to learn and adjust to new technologies and tools;
- Ability to review short copy on tight deadlines; and
- Passion for making our world a better place.
- Ability to parse policy is a plus.
- Experience with email and SMS functionality and/or user experience is helpful.
Pay rate for this role begins at $25/hour* and increases depending on experience.
*Pay rate for the training period (up to the first 60 hours) will be 75% of the total agreed rate.
NOTE: Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
If you feel you can do the job and are excited about this opportunity but are not sure if you meet all the qualifications, consider applying anyway. We’d love to hear from you!