Organizer at The Rising Majority
Movement 4 Black Lives
Position: Organizer (2 open positions to be filled)
Salary Range: $75,000 - $85,000
Benefits: Full package including health, vision, and dental, 401K;
About Rising Majority:
Rising Majority is a Black and people of color-led broad-based coalition of multiracial groups on the political left that are committed to opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy, and patriarchy.
In 2017, the Movement for Black Lives convened allied organizations and movements in response to the 2016 elections, and from there Rising Majority was formed. Our coalition is working to develop a collective strategy and shared practice that will involve labor, youth, abolition, immigrant rights, climate change, feminist, anti-war/anti-imperialist, and economic justice forces in order to amplify our collective power and to build alignment across our movements.
Rising Majority is committed to building a powerful, anti-racist left for radical democracy. In order to leverage our collective power, we are committed to cohering movements and engaging organizations and individuals in strategies that are crucial to deepening solidarity and building power. We believe that our historical mandate and our responsibility in this moment is to depart from the pattern of scattered and siloed struggles as much as possible. Here’s how we do it:
- Building a cross movement long term vision and strategy that allows our organizations to orient toward and engage in power building
- Developing and advancing narratives and cultural interventions that influence popular consciousness to uproot the fundamental ideas of systems like racialized capitalism and patriarchy; and
- Curating opportunities to build political and values-based alignment within our communities, among our bases, and from our organizations to practice the anti-racist, anti-capitalist, anti-patriarchal, radical democracy we are fighting for.
- Leading major political education events, actions, and more to respond to the critical moments
- Building ties, lines of communication and relationships that cross sectoral and other boundaries
Job Description: Rising Majority organizer is responsible for working with the Director of Organizing to implement an organizing strategy, theory, and methodology for moving Rising Majority coalition toward a coherent, long-term strategy and vision for radical democracy and a regenerative economy. We are seeking candidates who are excited by the political project of building a more powerful social movement left that can operate as an independent political force in the dominant terrain.
The organizer may relate to a combination of the following areas of work, negotiable with the Director of Organizing based on an assessment of their skill sets and interests:
- Vision and strategy: supporting RM’s process to develop long term vision and strategy for a radical democracy and a regenerative economy
- Political education and skills building: developing and leading political education and skills building within a diverse membership base
- Membership organizing and engagement: executing a recruitment, retention, organizing, and engagement strategy within a diverse membership base
- Convergences and convenings: developing and executing an organizing plan for key convergences and convenings that bring together a diverse membership base
- Communications and narrative: popularizing and amplifying the work of Rising Majority and its member to build alignment among a broader base and constituency
The organizer will be part of a larger organizing team responsible for establishing a clear division of labor in alignment with Rising Majority’s strategic orientation and political program. A Rising Majority organizer will participate in cross-learning and communication between various task teams and working groups.
You’ll thrive in this role if this sounds like you:
*While no candidate will possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and attributes. Even if you aren’t sure but are excited about the position, we encourage you to apply!
- Demonstrated commitment to Rising Majority’s values and mission
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ organizing experience desired
- Demonstrated community organizing and strategy development skills
- Leadership and management skills, including management of projects, facilitation of groups, and program coordination
- Ability to handle the shifting contexts and nuances that coalition-building entails
- Ability to set priorities and accomplish a broad range of tasks
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Self-starter who works well with people
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and adhere to deadlines while balancing multiple projects
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication, verbal and written, communication skills
- Attention to detail with the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to take ownership of projects (start to finish)
- Ability to communicate and collaborate virtually
- Willingness and capacity to travel.
- Troubleshooter with nimble response capacity and ability to anticipate problems before they arise.
How to apply
These positions are opened until they are filled, with priority given to candidates to submit their materials by August 19. We encourage applicants to submit a resume and cover letter to the BambooHR application form.
The cover letter should address the following:
- Organizing Positions: We would like candidates to speak to their assessment of the current social movement left and where they see opportunities and challenges to strengthen. Please also include any relevant coalition experience including relating to a diverse membership base, and a description of your leadership and organizing style. Please include any relevant coalition experience including relating to a diverse membership base. a description of your leadership and organizing style.
We are happy to consider applications together; for example, if someone is interested in the Director of Organizing position and has a prospective organizer in mind, we will consider their applications together. Or, we are happy to consider someone for multiple positions and make offers based on their skill sets and expertise.
*Rising Majority strongly encourages and seeks applications from Black people, Indigenous people, People of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.