Movement Voter Project
Accounting & Finance, Sales & Business Development
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2023
MVP is a best-in-class advising platform connecting progressive donors to the most effective and promising grassroots organizations in the country working at the intersection of movements, community organizing, and elections. We aim to increase investment in frontline organizations led by the most impacted communities to increase turnout among the progressive base, build long-term political power, and ultimately to transform our country at the local, state, and national levels. In the 2020 cycle, MVP successfully moved over $120 million to over 600 local groups across the country, focused in the most critical states.
We are organizers, and the heart of our work is organizing donors through MVP to support local groups in order to build, sustain, and amplify their impact. We work in service of local groups, and we try to be aware at all times of the power dynamics of being a funder and to be careful about incentivizing actions that could alter an organization’s own priorities; we work hard not to impose on our partners. We are also striving to continuously scrutinize and dismantle the ways we manifest and reproduce white supremacy culture both internally and externally.
We focus on building from our assets, and taking a positive approach to growth and change that helps groups and donors to feel comfortable being vulnerable about their areas of improvement. We believe in a non-competitive, non-divisive, whole ecosystem approach; we are always seeking opportunities to support and encourage collaboration among groups and donors.
As an Accounting Associate you will be responsible for assisting in ensuring the integrity of financial data in order to create timely and accurate reports across multiple non-profit related entities. You are a team-player, are interested in the support of an organization through accurate financial data, and interested in being more than a data-entry clerk. You will report to the Controller and work closely with the Finance and Operations teams. This position has room for growth for the right team member who is interested in non-profit managerial accounting.
- Assist with the management of books for entities held by the organization
- Assist with reconciliation of financial data with donor and granting data
- Assist the Controller with:
- 1. Documentation and continuous improvement of financial processes, workflows, and accounting policies
- 2. Additional reporting and compliance support as needed
- Other finance and general operations duties as required
- Fluent in at least one type of accounting solution software such QBO, Xero, Sage, or NetSuite
- At least four years of bookkeeping experience including the following skills: posting journal entries, bank reconciliations, working knowledge of GAAP, Accounts Payable
- Excellent skills with Excel spreadsheets and Google Sheets
- Passion for supporting the stability and growth of an organization through the lens of accounting
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and self-manage time while working within a close-knit team environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects
- Ability to perform detailed work with efficiency and accuracy
- Ability to assess when transactions may be inaccurate and work collaboratively to resolve
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and confidentiality while working with sensitive information
- Strong organizational, analytical, and math skills.
- Fluent in or confident learning (Preferred)
- Sage Intacct (Preferred)
- Certified Bookkeeper credential or equivalent college-level coursework (Preferred)
- Experience with non-profits and/or political organizations (Preferred)
- Fully remote, with the possibility of occasional, optional travel for internal team gatherings. We strive to create a family-friendly work environment and will make accommodations for team members with limited ability to travel.
We realize that some great candidates may not have every single thing on this list - that’s OK! If this job posting piques your interest, we encourage you to apply! Please submit a cover letter with your resume.
Equal employment statement:
Movement Voter Project isn’t just an equal opportunity employer. We are actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to support the incredible diversity of grassroots organizing across the country. MVP does not discriminate based upon race/ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability, and any other characteristics.
MVP is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in its hiring process, employment, services, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Kimbaly Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.357.5171.
See more open positions at Movement Voter Project
Something looks off?