Senior Capture Manager - States
Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2022
Nava is a consultancy and public benefit corporation working to make government services simple, effective, and accessible to all. Since 2013, federal, state, and local government agencies have trusted Nava to build transformative digital services to help people access public benefits. Meeting our mission is an opportunity to restore trust between people and public institutions. We focus on populations that are the least protected because the stakes are higher.
As a client services company, we work with government agencies to improve how people apply for benefits, navigate their health care, and more. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients. Our clients hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better customer experience.
These end-users—the humans who benefit from our work—are at the core of everything we do. We research beneficiaries’ needs to help our government clients better deliver on their missions, providing everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people. We’re looking for a Senior Capture Manager who understands state government programmatic goals and unmet needs, and who develops compelling win themes and price-to-win solutions resulting in winning proposals.
Nava is a public benefit corporation—we exist solely to positively transform how millions of people experience government by building simple, effective, and accessible digital services. We do this by integrating agile, human-centered development methodologies into how government technology is built. We don’t sell off-the-shelf products—we work collaboratively and in partnership with government agencies to solve complex policy challenges and build digital services, including software with modern development practices. Our services help millions of people across the country access and manage critical benefits like unemployment insurance; paid family and medical leave; and health, food, and economic assistance.
About this Role
Working in the business development team, you help build the state-component of our work. Day-to-day, you craft and execute successful strategies to modernize government services that support vulnerable populations by building a deep understanding of Nava's clients, the competitive and partner landscape, and each unique procurement. You are responsible for identifying and nurturing client/partner relationships to build agency, program, client, and opportunity level insight in support of Nava's mission and strategic goals. You engage Nava subject matter experts and teaming partners to understand the program landscape, develop/validate client insight, and deliver compelling, compliant, and competitive proposals.
Opportunities and Challenges
Nava provides the opportunity to do meaningful, impactful, mission-oriented work. As a public benefit corporation, the people who work at Nava have a fiduciary duty to our stated mission: to improve the accessibility, effectiveness, and simplicity of government services. When identifying and pursuing opportunities we must ensure that we are well suited to win and deliver successfully, but also evaluate the work against our mission and values. This is a high bar, but it's why we're here, and it informs what we do and how we operate across all phases of the business.
You will be operating within the government ecosystem, which means collaborating dynamically with other government contractors and civil servants. Working with people outside of your company means you'll likely encounter different working styles, cultural norms, and be responsible for maintaining order and focus without authority. At the same time, working as part of a larger team allows us to deliver on projects of larger scale and complexity.
The government contracting ecosystem is a compliance-driven, multi-stakeholder environment. This adds significant complexity to our work, particularly when compared to the operating environments for companies in the private sector. Successful members of our team understand how to be innovative within this environment when crafting solutions and proposal responses. Finding and recommending ways to improve the way government digital services are procured and built is one of the highest-leverage ways we help fulfill our mission.
Who we’re looking for
You are an experienced business development professional who can leverage existing relationships and build new relationships to identify high-leverage opportunities and understand the needs of our customers. You are able to develop and build on client insight to creatively apply Nava’s capabilities and engage our subject matter experts to solve complex problems and work through constraints to propose tailored and compelling solutions.
You’re a strategic thinker and actor, detail-oriented and able to organize and manage processes, responsibilities, and team operations. You structure client engagement strategies, proposals, documents, information, as well as decision support tooling and infrastructure in a clear and organized way. On each opportunity, you empower subject matter experts with varying degrees of familiarity with federal procurement by building shared context on the opportunity, leading through clear structure and processes, and helping each team member apply their expertise to contribute to a cohesive solution. You’re at home in rapidly evolving, ambiguous situations and can chart a course forward through uncertainty.
Most of all, you’re excited about designing and/or refining our strategy and processes to help us achieve our mission, not just executing a standard industry playbook. You’re able to see the interactions between various threads of action, and work through the tradeoffs. You can tailor existing processes or create new structures to get the most out of a talented and passionate team. You are motivated by making progress against our company mission, and are excited to engage our current/potential clients and work with subject matter experts to develop solutions and proposals in support of new opportunities.
What you'll do
- The Senior Capture Manager reports directly to the COO of Business Development and manages the contract capture process from identification, qualification, and pursuit through the award.
- Works in the Business Development team, and helps identify and matriculate new businesses to build the mission-aligned IT digital transformation work portfolio to modernize government services that support vulnerable populations .
- Performs full life-cycle capture to include strategic positioning, competitive analyses, client outreach, partner identification/interaction/options, and price-to-win strategies.
- Contributes to go/no go, bid/no bid, and constructs compelling, competitive, compliant winning proposals.
- Identifies and aligns past performance/quals to support an initial technical solution, and engages Nava engineers and other subject matter experts to refine the final technical solution.
- Joins group activities, and participates in compliance checks, gap analyses, proposal writing, color teams, and follow-on activities up to award and transition.
- Programmatically responsible for building comprehensive account plans and detailed capture plans for targeted States/Departments/Agencies.
- Responsible for opportunity level-insight in support of Nava's mission and strategic goals, and positively contributing to Business Development growth.
- Business Development: 9 + years.
- Experience in or with State Government, ideally in IT services procurements and contracting.
- Understand the cyclical requirements, timelines, and expectations of State business development, proposals, and contractors.
- Must have state gov’t proposal experience and general knowledge of terminology/acronyms/lingo and state procurement laws.
- Familiarity with a state (ideally, Calif, NJ) or programmatic understanding of Unemployment Benefits, Integrated Eligibility & Enrollment (IE&E), Paid Medical & Family Leave (PFML), Women, Infants & Children (WIC), General Health/Wellness, Case Management or Supplemental Nutrition Programs.
- Must have professional English writing, editing, and communication skills and professionally represent Nava outside the office at industry and networking events.
- Experience with 1 or more states.
- Client-facing experience or delivery experience.
- Familiarity with Agile Software Development, Human Centered Design, User Research, DevSecOps, Technical Operations, Cloud Adoption, Cloud Migration, Cloud Infrastructure, Infrastructure-as-code, IT Service Management, or IT Operations.
- Technical knowledge of general IT, technical certifications, or industry certifications.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services, or an infrastructure management service of similar complexity (i.e., Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Computing).
The individual working in this position:
● Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and meet any other requirements for government contracts for which they are hired.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship by their employer for a visa now or in the future.
● May be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget, on top of a LinkedIn Learning license
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death Insurance
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture, fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about career opportunities, new partnerships, and news from the broader civic tech community.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.