Infrastructure Engineer - Software
Posted on Monday, November 7, 2022
Nava is a consultancy and public benefit corporation working to make government services simple, effective, and accessible to all. Since 2013, federal, state, and local government agencies have trusted Nava to build transformative digital services to help people access public benefits. Meeting our mission is an opportunity to restore trust between people and public institutions. We focus on populations that are the least protected because the stakes are higher.
As a client services company, we work with government agencies to improve how people apply for benefits, navigate their health care, and more. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients. Our clients hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better customer experience.
These end-users—the humans who benefit from our work—are at the core of everything we do. We research beneficiaries’ needs to help our government clients better deliver on their missions, providing everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
You will work on small teams to build scalable infrastructure for government services that millions of Americans depend on. You care deeply about working on technology that improves people’s lives but doesn’t think technology is always the answer. You are passionate about making large-scale systems secure, scalable, and fast.
You will be working within the government ecosystem, which means working, sometimes closely, with other government contractors and civil servants. Working with people outside of your company means you'll likely encounter different working styles and cultural norms. At the same time, working as part of a larger team allows us to deliver on projects of larger scale and complexity.
The government also imposes a level of bureaucracy that is typically not present in a company of our size in the private sector. We operate in a regulated environment, where checks and compliance are built into the process of building software. This can make the path to production slower and some decisions, such as tools and processes, lie outside of our control. You view these as challenges and can look for creative engineering solutions within existing constraints to provide the highest-leverage solutions to fulfill our mission.
You will be working with legacy systems. While we work to modernize government technology, we do that within an existing ecosystem. We always focus on providing real, short-term value while keeping our eyes on long-term goals. This usually means getting to know legacy systems, often with poor documentation and unreliable narrators, and trying to determine how to replicate the systems' behavior or how to integrate with these systems. This is a great opportunity for engineers who enjoy software archaeology. If you care deeply about how software systems work over time, and building systems for longevity and resilience, this work is for you.
What you'll do
- Work with a cross-functional team to deliver on project requirements
- Create and maintain CI/CD pipelines
- Code, manage, configure, and maintain services
- Update documentation and runbooks
- Join our on-call rotation as a first line of defense during production issues
- Take part in hiring activities (e.g., submitting referrals, conducting interviews, and attending interview debriefs), as needed
- Building and maintaining Terraform IaC and GitHub Actions workflows
- Working with other engineers to ensure the performance and reliability of the services running on our AWS infrastructure
- Identifying and proposing infrastructure solutions to address client needs
- Making infrastructure best practice recommendations to stakeholders
- Previous experience maintaining a medium or large-scale production system or COTS products using Infrastructure as Code
- Broad experience with Cloud offerings in AWS
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: Cloud infrastructure, Unix/Linux, Windows, Scripting
- Experience with Terraform and/or CloudFormation, Ansible, or other IaC and automation tools
- Tenacity to dive into problems and iterate in working code
- Equal parts systems thinker and advocate for users
- Highly resourceful, reliable, and detail-oriented
- Ability to think strategically around trade-offs and short-term vs. long-term benefits
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative, and positive mindset
- Excellent written and real-time communication, technical and otherwise
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years
- Education: Due to contractual requirements, this role requires a Bachelor's Degree (in any discipline) or 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree
The individual working in this position:
● Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and meet any other requirements for government contracts for which they are hired.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship by their employer for a visa now or in the future.
● May be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Comprehensive Employee Wellness Program
● Virtual Doctor visits with zero copay through UHC
● Fertility Support and Treatment
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● Home office budget and monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● Comprehensive learning and development program
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget, on top of a LinkedIn Learning license
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death Insurance
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture, fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about career opportunities, new partnerships, and news from the broader civic tech community.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.