Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Nava is a consultancy and public benefit corporation working to make government services simple, effective, and accessible to all. Since 2013, federal, state, and local government agencies have trusted Nava to build transformative digital services to help people access public benefits. Meeting our mission is an opportunity to restore trust between people and public institutions. We focus on populations that are the least protected because the stakes are higher.
As a client services company, we work with government agencies to improve how people apply for benefits, navigate their health care, and more. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients. Our clients hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better customer experience.
These end-users—the humans who benefit from our work—are at the core of everything we do. We research beneficiaries’ needs to help our government clients better deliver on their missions, providing everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
Working directly with the Chief Financial Officer, the Company Controller, the Finance and Accounting team, and the broader organization, you will play a vital role in ensuring the financial success of the company. Reporting to the Controller as a key member of the Finance and Accounting team, you will serve as a strategic thought partner to company leadership, lead all financial planning aspects of the business, support all program portfolios through project control and planning activities, manage pricing activities, and lead a team of project control analysts. This is a key position with interactions and dependencies within Finance and across the organization.
Nava provides the opportunity to do meaningful, impactful, mission-oriented work. As a public benefit corporation, the people who work at Nava have a fiduciary duty to our stated mission: to improve the accessibility, effectiveness, and simplicity of government services. When identifying and pursuing opportunities we must ensure that we are well suited to win and deliver successfully, but also evaluate the work against our mission and values. This is a high bar, but it's why we're here, and it informs what we do and how we operate across all phases of the business.
You will work as part of a remote-first team to deliver the highest quality internal support and solutions to employees at scale in a fast-growing company. Nava is ~300 people today, and the Manager of FP&A will be integral to help us approximately double over the next several years and remain a healthy, sustainable delivery and consulting firm. Critical to this role will be the ability to continuously enhance planning and project control operations, strategies, and services, and you will play an instrumental role in understanding and supporting company and project-level performance.
We are seeking “T-shaped” candidates – people with vertical depth of expertise in financial planning and analysis who are strong horizontal leaders and communicators across organizational boundaries. In particular, we are looking for a leader who will deeply understand our goals, business, delivery approach, and mission, before bringing their expertise to the table to help us get there.
You will work as part of a larger team to deliver the highest quality internal support, financial oversight, and solutions to employees at scale in a fast-growing company. Critical to this role will be the ability to continuously improve accounting operations tools and processes, and you will also play an instrumental role in building a robust support model for our employees.
What you’ll do:
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Own all aspects of the FP&A function, including but not limited to budgeting, forecasting, near-term and long-term planning, and financial reporting.
- Partner with company leaders to develop annual and multi-year financial plans and budgets, providing input and recommendations on key decisions.
- Contribute to the annual planning process and incorporate creative ideas and best practices, providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and other business drivers.
- Leverage data and financial modeling skills to analyze a wide variety of business opportunities and challenges, turning findings into actionable results.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of FP&A and Project Control Teams, including monthly EAC production, invoice preparation, project-level forecasting, project performance, utilization reporting and analysis, and other analysis as required.
- Lead, manage, train, and coach Project Control Analysts with an emphasis on growth and professional development, conducting regular performance assessments to ensure employees develop and stretch their talents to maximize individual growth and company success.
- Organize, assign, delegate, and coordinate work of the team to ensure team objectives are met timely and accurately.
- Lead efforts to streamline and automate monthly processes, leveraging new tools while addressing ad hoc requests for data and analysis requirements.
- Develop pricing strategies, build pricing models, and create contract and pricing volumes for proposals in response to Government RFPs.
- Review RFPs to determine general and specific cost requirements and that pricing complies with all RFP and compliance requirements.
- Work closely with leadership, business development, delivery, contracts, finance, and other areas to ensure price proposals are professional, compliant, accurate, competitive, and profitable.
- Model project and proposal profitability regularly, providing scenario analysis to support pricing decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience, including a background in planning and/or project control and pricing.
- Experience with a federal government contractor.
- Experience building and leading high performing teams.
- Excellent analytical skills; ability to analyze operational data and validate accuracy of modeling outputs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required, including the ability to convey financial meaning and implications of reported data in succinct terms.
- Excellent organizational skills required, including the ability to manage priorities and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to work cross-functionally to analyze reporting requirements and develop an efficient process to meet them.
- Must be able to work autonomously, i.e. recognize what needs to be done and do it with limited guidance from management.
- Team player with the ability to collaborate with all levels of the organization to ensure financial planning is done with integrity, accuracy, and a commitment to excellence.
- Proficient in GSuite, Slack, Zoom, Excel, and Apple computers.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience with software such as Unanet, Deltek CostPoint, and similar used to manage government contracts.
- Proficiency in GSuite, Slack, Zoom, Excel, Apple computers, and other tools used to support a remote-work environment.
The individual working in this position:
● Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and meet any other requirements for government contracts for which they are hired.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship by their employer for a visa now or in the future.
● May be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget, on top of a LinkedIn Learning license
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death Insurance
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture, fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about career opportunities, new partnerships, and news from the broader civic tech community.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.