Project Control Analyst
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Nava is a consultancy and public benefit corporation working to make government services simple, effective, and accessible to all. Since 2013, federal, state, and local government agencies have trusted Nava to build transformative digital services to help people access public benefits. Meeting our mission is an opportunity to restore trust between people and public institutions. We focus on populations that are the least protected because the stakes are higher.
As a client services company, we work with government agencies to improve how people apply for benefits, navigate their health care, and more. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients. Our clients hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better customer experience.
These end-users—the humans who benefit from our work—are at the core of everything we do. We research beneficiaries’ needs to help our government clients better deliver on their missions, providing everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
The Project Control Analyst will work closely with company and project executives, internal business partners, and the finance and accounting team to lead project-level financial, operating, and performance analysis. The Project Control Analyst is the primary driver of day-to-day responsibilities, including FP&A, project control, financial reporting and modeling, and decision support for a portfolio of projects.
The successful candidate is extremely adaptable, a strategic problem solver, and can identify key tradeoffs in multidimensional problems. This person will report to the Financial Analyst and work closely with the Company Controller and CFO. You will work as part of a remote-first team to deliver the highest quality internal support and solutions to employees and leaders at scale in a fast-growing company. Critical to this role will be the ability to comfortably operate in a growth-oriented environment and use broad analytic skills to support Nava’s business and operational growth. You are a resourceful and independent thinker who uses this ability to translate vision into execution while maintaining a close eye for detail.
What You’ll Do
- Provide program and project control support for monthly close activities, including variance analysis related to key drivers such as revenue, gross margin, net margin, billable hours, and reporting to leadership teams.
- Prepare Estimate-At-Completion (EAC) and support analysis comparing budgets and forecasts to actual results, plus financial and operational trends.
- Conduct contract and subcontract administration, to include monitoring of funding and not-to-exceed amount.
- Lead analysis on project cost, schedule, performance, variance, risk reporting, and analysis.
- Partner with Program Managers and Directors to assist them in running their programs proactively by providing oversight on financial tracking and reporting.
- Develop financial dashboards to track financial and operational KPIs.
- Coordinate with program leadership and stakeholders to ensure project execution is consistent with budget plans and coordinated with program sponsors as needed.
- Work closely with Accounting, Contracts and Program Managers to prepare accurate, timely invoices for submission to clients according to the invoicing instructions in the contracts
- Reconcile and provide explanation on any unbilled balances, status updates on any overdue invoices; Update and maintain Billing Master Spreadsheet and assist with ongoing timesheet reviews.
- Assist Project Managers with performance management oversight of employees, consultants, and subcontractors, as necessary.
- Work with multiple programs/projects by monitoring progress and quality, managing issue resolution, recommending corrective action, and developing ad-hoc client deliverables.
- 2+ years of finance and accounting experience, preferably with growing professional services companies.
- Bachelor's Degree required or 2-3 yrs applicable experience in lieu.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, in person, and via electronic mediums.
- Ability to communicate professionally with clients, management, employees, consultants, and subcontractors.
- Ability to read and interpret policy, regulations, and directives.
- Proficient in the following IOS and Google applications: Docs, Sheets, Google Drive, and other tools used to support a remote-work environment.
- Experience with a federal government contractor is a plus, as is experience with the software used to manage government contracts (Unanet experience preferred).
- Strong budgeting and reporting skills and a solid understanding of cash flow management.
- Analytic and modeling skills and familiarity with income statements, balance sheets, and cash flows.
- Experience performing financial management and reviewing work products for correctness, quality, and completeness; ability to follow through.
- Experience tracking, monitoring, reporting, standardizing, and overseeing project cost, schedule, and performance measures.
- Experience managing, coordinating, and facilitating a team's efforts effectively and efficiently in multiple contract environments (i.e., Time and Material, Firm Fixed Price).
The individual working in this position:
● Must be legally authorized to work in the United States and meet any other requirements for government contracts for which they are hired.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization that does not require sponsorship by their employer for a visa now or in the future.
● May be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget, on top of a LinkedIn Learning license
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death Insurance
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture, fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about career opportunities, new partnerships, and news from the broader civic tech community.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.