Associate / Senior Associate
Founded in 2010, we’re a Washington, DC-based, woman-owned, progressive, full-service strategy and communications firm with a track record of winning tough fights. We serve advocacy and legal organizations, political groups, and CEOs who are making a difference—helping them move from brainstorming to goal setting to winning.
You’ll find us working for social justice in the biggest battles in Washington—and across the country. These days, that means fighting for sustainable climate policies, access to our democracy, equity in our policies, protection for workers on the job, and our personal favorite, robust public transit. And that’s just the start.
We’re passionate, creative, and fun. And we’re looking for someone—or even a couple people—to round out our growing team.
Associate/Senior Associate (Washington, DC-based)
We’re hiring at the Associate and/or Senior Associate level. So if any of this sounds like you, you should probably check us out. Especially if you are:
- A voracious consumer of politics, culture and, you know, what the kids do these days.
- A great storyteller. You know how to string words together that inspire and activate, and you know when pictures > words.
- Willing to go to the mat for your cause and your client. You don’t quit until the job is done, and probably not even then.
- Able to maintain a sense of humor, especially when stuff hits the fan.
- Fired up about fixing the endless pipeline of global problems and injustices.
- A great coworker who will indulge our occasionally long-winded stories and hopefully tell us some of your own.
- A veteran of campaigns, the Hill or an agency… we like to know how you juggle in a fast-paced environment (this last bullet point gets you bonus points).
Mostly, you’re whip-smart, intensely curious, and want a close-knit team that is doing big things.
Here’s some additional skills you should bring to the table:
Associate (1-3 years’ experience, $45-55K)
- Good at the Internet. You know how to craft social media content that gets noticed, and shared.
- Able to use compelling, clear language to write in a variety of voices, for a variety of mediums, targeting a variety of audiences.
- Super-organized and independent—can handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have pitched reporters and have the clips (or stories) to prove it.
- More bonus points: design or video production experience or Spanish-language skills.
Senior Associate (4-6 years’ experience, $56-70K)
- Have run, or helped run, communications for a client, candidate or cause.
- Experienced at crafting compelling narratives, including in op-eds, letters to the editor, and talking points.
- May be experienced running, or helping run, digital programs for a client, candidate or cause, including creating persuasive content, graphics and video, and a working understanding of paid digital advertising.
- Bring existing press relationships and a demonstrated track record of placing stories in the media and driving a narrative.
- Super-responsive to your clients and teammates and can meet multiple, and sometimes, competing deadlines.
- Hybrid office/WFH policy. We currently work two days/week at our downtown DC office and three days/week from wherever you want.
- Sane hours. We try not to bug you, or have our clients bug you, at night or on weekends. That said, sometimes news breaks at inconvenient times.
- 4 weeks paid vacation annually, plus additional remote-work policy.
- 401K plan with 4% employer match.
- Generous paid family leave.
- 75% employer-paid health insurance.
- $1000/yr stipend for professional development opportunities.
- Valued member of a team that cares about you and your personal and professional growth and happiness.
To Apply To Work With Us: Email your resume, two brief writing samples and a cover letter that tells us why you’d be a great fit, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing samples can include news releases or other communications materials described above. Please put “Associate” or “Senior Associate” in the subject line. New Heights takes diversity, equity and inclusion seriously—our team, our clients and the world are better when served by a diverse team. BIPOC candidates are especially encouraged to apply.