New Heights Communications
Looking for a media relations-savvy Director…
(Remote with strong preference for Washington, DC area, 5-7 yrs experience, $85-100K, sane hours and great culture)
About New Heights Communications
Founded in 2010, we’re a Washington, DC-based, woman-owned, progressive, full-service strategy and communications firm with a track record of winning tough fights. We serve advocacy and legal organizations, political groups, and CEOs who are making a difference—helping them move from brainstorming to goal setting to winning.
We’re not your typical communicators - we’ve also done the work. From political campaigns to issue-driven policy fights, legal advocacy to academia, we’ve done it all. Like you, we feel the fierce urgency of now – and our work shows it. Our size is our superpower, hitting the sweet spot of small enough to be nimble, big enough to deliver real results.
You’ll find us working for racial, economic and social justice in the biggest battles in Washington—and across the country. These days, that means fighting for sustainable climate policies, access to our democracy, equity in our policies, protection for workers on the job, and our personal favorite, robust public transit. And that’s just the start.
We’re passionate, creative, and fun. And we’re looking for someone to round out our growing team.
Director (5-7 yrs experience, $85-100K)
New Heights is looking for an experienced communications and social justice campaigns professional to serve as our new Director. This senior-level position will lead on multiple clients, help with new business for the firm, and manage junior staff.
In this position, you’ll be our main point of contact for a roster of 3-5 clients, typically serving as the main strategist and client lead. You’ll be responsible for creating and driving the day-to-day work of the client – usually a mix of spotting and driving media relations opportunities, creating messaging guides, content and brand strategy, and big picture visioning – and managing our team’s work. We consider ourselves a “teaching hospital,” both for our team and often for our clients, leaving the progressive movement better than we found it. That means we’re not just advisors; we get our hands dirty doing the work, ensuring that our clients understand the “why” behind what we do.
You should bring to the table:
- Experience running comms for issue campaigns, advocacy orgs, or clients in ways that enrich the narrative and truly move the needle on some of the biggest socio-economic issues of today;
- Serious media relations chops – you don’t just know how to place stories; you know how to drive a narrative, and when the moment calls for going big or staying under the radar;
- Great project management skills. You’re a skilled multitasker and can keep multiple plates in the air for our clients at any given time, but also know how to inspire and teach the people on your internal team.
- Big-picture thinking - you can help clients see avenues they may not have thought of, and can have a 360° view of the full landscape that helps build more comprehensive strategy.
You should probably apply if you’re:
- Willing to go to the mat for your cause and your client. You don’t quit until the job is done, and probably not even then.
- Able to maintain a sense of humor, especially when stuff hits the fan.
- Fired up about fixing the endless pipeline of global problems and injustices.
- A great coworker who will indulge our occasionally long-winded stories and hopefully tell us some of your own.
- A veteran of campaigns, the Hill, or an agency…we like to know how you keep up in a fast-paced environment.
- Mostly remote– we are moving to one day/week in-person in our Washington, DC office. Will consider fully remote for the right candidate.
- Sane hours. We try not to bug you, or have our clients bug you, at night or on weekends. That said, sometimes news breaks at inconvenient times.
- 4 weeks paid vacation annually.
- 401K plan with 4% employer match.
- Generous paid family leave.
- Employer-paid health insurance.
- $1000/yr stipend for professional development opportunities.
- Valued member of a team that cares about you and your personal and professional growth and happiness.
To Apply To Work With Us: Email your resume, two writing samples and a cover letter that tells us why you’d be a great fit, to email@example.com. Writing samples can be a client memo or strategy plan, an op-ed, or similar communications materials. Please put “Director” in the subject line. New Heights takes diversity, equity and inclusion seriously—our team, our clients and the world are better when served by a diverse team. BIPOC candidates are especially encouraged to apply.