Spring 2024 Development Intern
Reproductive Freedom for All
About Reproductive Freedom for All (Formerly NARAL Pro-Choice America)
For more than 50 years, Reproductive Freedom for All and its chapters have fought to protect and expand reproductive freedom —including access to abortion and contraception — for everybody. We are powered by our more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.
Reproductive Freedom for All centers diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our work. Continuously learning from our history, we hold ourselves accountable to achieve reproductive freedom with equitable access for everybody. As the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access, we organize and mobilize, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom, and shining a spotlight of accountability on bad actors who work to impose their ideological agenda on others. We also work to elect champions for reproductive freedom and advance state and federal legislation to safeguard it. For more information on Reproductive Freedom for All, please visit our website.
In this internship, you will perform the following duties:
- Answer member questions via phone and email
- Assist with donor research and prospecting
- Provide support for our direct mail team in maintaining accurate records
- Assist with donor cultivation
- Assist with and create thank you letters
- Assist with updating and maintaining our donor database
- Provide support in editing development materials, including our donor newsletter
- Provide general administrative support for the Development Department
- Join Development Department meetings
In this internship, you will learn:
- The structure and function of various teams within a Development Department, including major gifts, events, foundation grants, and membership teams. The Development Department is responsible for fundraising for the organization.
- Donor research skills, for individuals, foundations, businesses, etc.
- Donor communication styles for a variety of audiences, including through grants, newsletters, meeting memos, call time, etc.
- Database management and information hygiene skills.
- Basic donor cultivation skills, including how to engage with different types of donors in a variety of situations.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for reproductive freedom;
- Has an interest in learning about development and fundraising;
- Enjoys talking to new people and can maintain a professional demeanor in all interactions;
- Has previous experience or demonstrated ability to perform research in a professional setting (development research experience is a plus);
- Exhibits strong attention to detail and organization skills;
- Is comfortable using Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Excel), and Google Suite;
- Has database and research experience, or a demonstrated ability to perform such tasks (NGP VAN/EveryAction, Foundation Directory Online, and IWave previous experience is a nice-to-have, interested in learning new tools required);
- Has a demonstrated commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported.