Senior Software Engineer, Contract
Position: Senior Software Engineer, Contract
Application Deadline: Rolling
Type: Full-time or Part-Time Contract Through November 2022
Pay (hourly): $130/hr, or higher based on experience. Minimum commitment of 20 hours/wk.
Pay (full-time): $18,000/mo with health insurance and benefits, or higher based on experience
To Apply: Submit your resume online
Scale to Win supports organizations to engage with supporters and voters through one-on-one conversations over both text messaging and phone calls. Data tells us that this approach can result in deeper social change – and, if done at sufficient scale, can influence the outcome of elections. We’re proud of the impact our tools had on the 2020 election, and look forward to continuing to support the 500+ progressive organizations that we currently work with, including dozens of candidates endorsed by the DSA, Sunrise Movement, Justice Democrats, Our Revolution, and the Working Families Party.
At Scale To Win you’ll have no shortage of interesting programming projects to work on – from our realtime web interfaces, to our interfacing with texting and telephony providers, to handling the scale we reach during elections (tens of thousands of requests per second, write-heavy database loads, and pushing the limits of our upstream telephony vendors). You won’t be solving them alone: you’ll have the support of our team of engineers who have worked hard to make sure we can deploy new features and scale smoothly without the fear of alerts going off.
Scale to Win is a worker cooperative, entirely owned by its worker-owners with no outside investors. This gives us the flexibility to make our own decisions about the future of our company, what we build, and what candidates and organizations we work with based on our goals and values rather than pressure from investors. While this contract position is not a membership-track position, we would preferentially consider candidates who have contracted with us for future membership-track openings.
Now is an exciting moment for Scale To Win – we’ve grown very rapidly based on the strength of our work in 2020 and 2021 and already have several hundred clients for the 2022 election cycle. You’ll be integral to building and scaling our tools for the midterm elections.
- You write clean, readable, and maintainable code and are willing to prioritize quality to guard against errors in production.
- You have experience with some aspects of scaling web applications – either through software testing, release management, dev-ops, or another aspect of software engineering.
- You’re OK with occasional longer hours in the lead-up to elections. We’re a small team working to support the demands of 7-day-a-week campaigns, so we collectively designate the weeks before major elections as “high-intensity periods” when we expect to work longer-than-normal hours. We work together to keep these periods manageable, and schedule recovery periods after so we can all take some extra time off.
- If you identify as belonging to a community that is underrepresented in technology companies, then we strongly encourage you to apply even if you are unsure. The organizations we work with advocate for many of these communities and we believe it’s essential that organizations should reflect the communities that they represent.
- You’re motivated by doing work that has a positive impact on the world.