Senior Software Engineer
Scale to Win
Scale to Win supports organizations to engage with supporters and voters through one-on-one conversations over both text messaging and phone calls. Data tells us that this approach can result in deeper social change – and, if done at sufficient scale, can influence the outcome of elections. We’re proud of the impact our tools had on the 2020 and 2022 elections, and look forward to continuing to support the 500+ progressive organizations that we currently work with, including dozens of candidates endorsed by the DSA, Sunrise Movement, Justice Democrats, Our Revolution, and the Working Families Party. We’re excited about our impact up and down the ballot, and candidates we’ve worked with range from local school board candidates, to House and Senate campaigns for AOC, Ayanna Pressley, Beto O’Rorke, and John Fetterman, as well as the the DNC and numerous state parties.
At Scale To Win you’ll have no shortage of interesting programming projects to work on – from our realtime web interfaces, to our interfacing with texting and telephony providers, to handling the scale we reach during elections (tens of thousands of requests per second, write-heavy database loads, and pushing the limits of our upstream telephony vendors). You won’t be solving them alone: you’ll have the support of our team of engineers who have worked hard to make sure we can deploy new features and scale smoothly without the fear of alerts going off.
Democracy is not just something we help with. We believe businesses should be run with democracy and equity as core practices. For this reason, we run as a worker-owned cooperative. You’d be eligible to join the coop pending a vote of all members after a minimum of 6 months at Scale to Win, although the process typically takes around a year. We welcome people who would like to think about what the future of sustainable and equitable work might look like. We have no outside investors or owners – Scale to Win is 100% owned by its workers.
Now is an exciting moment for Scale To Win – based on our success in the 2020 and 2022 elections, we’re building out a brand new texting platform and expanding our dialer platform. You’ll be integral to experimenting, testing and building our next set of tools.
- You write clean, readable, and maintainable code and are willing to prioritize quality to guard against errors in production.
- You have experience with some aspects of scaling web applications – either through software testing, release management, dev-ops, or another aspect of software engineering. You’re comfortable joining our night and weekend on-call rotation.
- You’re OK with occasional longer hours in the lead-up to elections. We’re a small team working to support the demands of 7-day-a-week campaigns, so we collectively designate the weeks before major elections as “high-intensity periods” when we expect to work longer-than-normal hours. We work together to keep these periods manageable, and schedule recovery periods after so we can all take some extra time off.
- If you identify as belonging to a community that is underrepresented in technology companies, then we strongly encourage you to apply even if you are unsure. The organizations we work with advocate for many of these communities and we believe it’s essential that organizations should reflect the communities that they represent.
- You’re motivated by doing work that has a positive impact on the world.
- $200k yearly salary, in addition to profit-sharing. As part of our commitment to equity, salaries are non-negotiable: everyone in the same role receives the same salary.
- Position eligible for co-op membership pending a vote of all members after a minimum of 6 months at Scale to Win, although the process typically takes around a year. Co-op members participate in collective ownership, participatory planning, and equitable profit sharing based on tenure. We also plan to do profit-sharing separate from co-op membership to also share profits with non-coop members; a similar role to this one in 2021 / 2022 would have earned approximately $148,000 in total profit share across the two year cycle separate from co-op member profit sharing.
- We are currently piloting a 4-day workweek through May, and may decide to extend that through the summer. We do expect to work 5-day weeks as we get closer to election season.
- Remote working with flexible working conditions so that you can balance family or other commitments.
- 5 weeks paid vacation; paid sick leave; paid short-term medical, caregiver, bereavement, and other personal leave.
- 10 company holidays, 2 floating holidays, and a weeklong holiday break at the end of the year.
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave and an additional 4 weeks of part-time, fully-paid flex time. This is available to all new parents of any gender, including adoptive parents.
- Fully-paid premium, $0 deductible, top-notch medical/dental/vision insurance for you and your dependents.
Something looks off?