North America Campaign Lead / Senior Campaigner
Social Movement Technologies
Watch this 2-minute intro video: bit.ly/SMT10yrs
This job is for you if...you’re ambitious about building progressive movements; you have experience with both online and offline organizing especially in BiPOC communities; you think strategically, are hungry to learn; work well with people; you’re an organizer at heart. This is a position with opportunity for growth and impact, with access to support, mentoring, and training to tackle new tools & tactics. It also involves coordination of the work of additional team members and building the work through developing new trainings and collaborations. Candidates coming in at a senior level are expected to have extensive online/offline campaign experience, ideally including coaching frontline groups. We are looking for people who envision themselves doing this work with SMT long-term.
Social Movement Technologies’ mission is to provide organizing strategy, training, and campaign support to build people-power for justice and win in the digital age. We're a non-profit/NGO movement support group, driven 100% to meet movement needs. We do lots with little, just like most of the groups we work with. SMT has trained staff from over 4400+ groups and unions over its first ten years and worked with almost 200 groups on campaigns more in-depth.
SMT provides the in-depth campaign training that staff and activists need in the digital age. Our goal is to expand access by driving down the cost of this training and providing excellent online learning experiences to deepen organizing proficiency. Our focus is on using digital campaigning to amplify in-person action, broaden support, activate supporters, and pressure targets. Our bias is toward meeting the needs of small to medium-sized groups.
Compensation. This is a full-time position. The salary range is $75-$120K, depending on experience and location in North America. SMT has a pay policy for its global team that adjusts compensation based on cost-of-living.
Example top of scale:
- Live in New York, San Francisco, or another extremely high-cost-of-living area
- 10+ years of experience combining online and offline organizing
- Track record of successfully managing complex teams, programs, and funder relationships, not just running projects or campaigns themselves
Additional benefits include a monthly contribution towards health care, an employer match to 401K plan contributions, sick leave, 3+ weeks of vacation, and federal holidays (additional vacation time can be worked out if needed, with a reduction in salary). We offer support for remote work, training and mentoring, and a highly collaborative, supportive work environment. We are looking for this to be a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits for the right person. We are open to starting part-time, hourly for 1-3 months for candidates interested in that arrangement.
Location. Social Movement Technologies is a 100% remote organization so no need to commute or relocate. Our team members are based across the world and work over video, Slack, and through project management tools.
What you’ll do:
- Provide coaching support to groups in targeted areas where you have experience
- Identify ways to support the development of BIPOC online/offline campaigners and coordinate this support
- Develop new online training in targeted areas where you have experience
- Provide a range of campaign strategy and implementation support for partner groups, including in-depth implementation support at partner organizations’ most important campaign moments
- Keep your fingers on the pulse of new tech and digital developments, testing out tools and comparing them so that SMT can help groups sift through the options and stay on the cutting edge.
- (For more experienced applicants) - the opportunity to take on co-leadership of SMT’s work across North America, with significant opportunity to shape new projects to meet identified movement needs
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have a minimum of three years of relevant campaign experience, in which you held high-level responsibility that included digital.
- You have a knack for campaigning and understand what it takes to move the needle, including how to build power on the issue, who we need with us, messaging that will move people, and the steps to get you there.
- You apply an organizer's mindset to the use of digital tools, including bringing in your experience in volunteer or full-time organizing roles.
- You have experience with running issue campaigns, for example doing your own memes with a sense for design and messaging, or setting up Facebook ad campaigns - not relying on other staffers for creative or ad setup. You've worked as part of smaller teams, not just large.
- Self-motivated; able to break down large projects & manage multiple projects, and make the most of support from other team members
It’s a big plus if you have:
- Experience with coaching and training staff and leaders from organizing groups
- Specific experience with Action Network or another common CRM/action tool; online ad tools; peer-to-peer and broadcast texting tools; writing, targeting, and evaluating email; campaign and personal narrative; and using social media platforms to drive action and organizing leads (not just broadcast your message)
How to apply: Please let us know where you heard about the job. Tell us about your relevant experience. Share your resume, samples of your online campaign work, and a list of the online tools and platforms in which you have proficiency. This app only allows one doc upload, so please include your list of tools at the end of your cover letter. If you have other work you'd like to share, include a link to a folder of your campaign work or other documents at the bottom of your cover letter. A later step in the process will include a timed live exercise. References will be requested after that.
We regret that we will not be able to acknowledge all applications in a personal way, nor do we have the capacity to have pre-application conversations. We greatly appreciate that time and care is invested in each of them. Position will be open until filled.
Social Movement Technologies is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer. SMT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We believe that a diverse staff enables us to better understand and serve our members, audience and community. Women, people of color, and members of low-income, disadvantaged, and LGBTQ communities are strongly encouraged to apply.