Instructor/Coach (occasional) - based anywhere globally
Social Movement Technologies
This work is 100% online. You can be based anywhere globally.
Watch this 2-minute intro video: bit.ly/SMT10yrs
Keep your full-time job or other work commitments, and freelance with SMT to share your expertise to strengthen movements.
Do you have deep experience and interest in occasional teaching or consults related to issue campaigns or union organizing? Here is the expertise we're looking for. Do you have expertise in one or more of these areas?
- A.I. use in organizing
- Quick response video production, especially using phones
- Graphic Design: coach the next generation of movement designers
- Public and personal narrative writing, strong email writing using a movement-building frame and messaging
- Ad campaigns (campaign experience with FB ads including custom audiences, A/B tests, lead ads etc. Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and Google/YouTube and geofencing ad experience also a plus)
- Instagram, TikTok - Using these and emerging social platforms effectively for organizing (not just personal use)
- SEO for organizing groups
- Fundraising - especially digital grassroots / small dollar; comprehensive donor campaigns; peer-to-peer campaigns; end-of-year campaigns
- SMS campaigns
- CRMs - migrations, comparisons
- Getting media coverage outside of North America
Social Movement Technologies’ mission is to provide organizing strategy, training and campaign support to build people-power for justice and win in the digital age. We're a non-profit/NGO movement support group, driven 100% to meet movement needs. We're super lean - we do lots with little, just like most of the groups we work with.
SMT’s small but highly effective team has trained staff from over 4400+ groups and unions over its first 10 years, and worked with almost 200 groups on campaigns more in-depth.
SMT provides the in-depth digital campaign training that staff and activists need in the digital age. Our goal is to expand access by driving down the cost of this training and providing excellent online learning experiences to deepen digital organizing proficiency dramatically. Our focus is on using digital campaigning to amplify in-person action, broaden support, activate supporters, and pressure targets. Our bias is toward meeting the needs of small to medium-sized groups.
We regret that we will not be able to acknowledge all applications in a personal way, nor do we have the capacity to have pre-application conversations. We greatly appreciate that time and care is invested in each of them. Position will be open until filled.
Social Movement Technologies is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer. SMT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We believe a diverse staff enables us to better serve our members, audience and community. Women, people of color, and members of low-income, disadvantaged, and LGBTQ communities are strongly encouraged to apply.