Asia Movement Support Coordinator
Social Movement Technologies
This job can be part-time or full-time. You can be based anywhere in Asia.
Watch this 2-minute intro video: bit.ly/SMT10yrs
This job is for you if...you’re super driven and ambitious about building people-power movements for justice, including movements for women's rights and for climate action and justice; you have deep experience with both online and offline campaigning in Asia; you think strategically, enjoy coaching, work really well with people; you’re creative and hungry to see change happen; and you’re nimble at finding ways to meet needs and shape solutions. You can manage teams and you also are excellent at running an online/offline campaign and its component pieces yourself. This is for someone who wants to invest deeply and take leadership in the organization's work and be in the trenches working on campaigns too.
About SMT. Social Movement Technologies’ mission is to provide organizing strategy, training and campaign support to build people-power for justice and win in the digital age. We're a non-profit/NGO movement support group, driven 100% to meet movement needs. We're super lean - we do lots with little, just like most of the groups we work with.
SMT’s small but highly effective team has trained staff from over 3400 groups and unions over its first eight years, and worked with 100+ groups on campaigns more in-depth. Staff team members are based in the U.S., South Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Palestine and other countries.
SMT provides the in-depth digital campaign training that staff and activists need in the digital age. Our goal is to expand access by driving down the cost of this training and provide excellent online learning experiences to dramatically deepen digital organizing proficiency. Our focus is on using digital campaigning to amplify in-person action, broaden support, activate supporters, and pressure targets. Our bias is towards meeting the needs of small to medium-size groups.
Location. Social Movement Technologies is a 100% remote organization. For this post you must be located in Asia.
What you’ll do:
- Develop new online training to meet movement needs across Asia
- Build an instructor team of practitioners from across the continent and help to shape and do outreach for the training
- Provide a range of campaign strategy and implementation support for partner groups
- Build and maintain relationships with a range of organizing networks
- Keep your fingers on the pulse of new tech and digital developments in the enormous diversity of Asia, testing out tools and comparing them so that SMT can help Asian groups sift through the options and make choices appropriate to context
What we’re looking for in you:
- You speak and write English, as a non negotiable, but ideally speak another language dominant on the continent.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of relevant campaign experience, in which you held high-level responsibility that included digital campaigning.
- You have a knack for campaigning and understand what it takes to make a difference, including how to build power on the issue, who we need with us, messaging that will move people, and the steps to get you there.
- You have broad experience in running issue campaigns, for example doing your own memes with a sense for design and messaging, or setting up Facebook ad campaigns - not relying on other staffers for creative or ad setup. You've worked as part of smaller and not just larger teams.
- You have worked at a sub-regional or regional level in Asia, and are able to navigate the complexities of language, sub-regional affinities, and power blocs.
- You have experience with coaching and training people.
- You have management and organizational skills that enable you to keep a number of projects on track and delegate to other members of our team and contractors.
- You have previous experience working remotely, are highly self-motivated and need to be doing work that involves constant learning.
- You have experience running campaigns at the grassroots, national and/or sub-regional/regional levels in Asia.
How to apply: Let us know where you heard about the job. Tell us about your relevant experience. Share your resume, samples of your online campaign work, and a list of the online tools and platforms in which you have proficiency. This app only allows one document upload, so please include your list of tools at the end of your cover letter. If you have other work you'd like to share, include a link to a folder of your campaign work or other documents at the bottom of your cover letter. A later step in the process will include a timed live exercise. References will be required.
***You should have an extensive list of digital tools and tactics with which you work, and campaign collateral and narrative. Please don't take the time to apply if you are not at this level. Thank you!***
We regret that we will not be able to acknowledge all applications in a personal way, nor do we have the capacity to have pre-application conversations. We greatly appreciate that time and care is invested in each of them. Position will be open until filled.
Social Movement Technologies is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer. SMT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We believe that a diverse staff enables us to better understand and serve our members, audience and community. Women, people of color, and members of low-income, disadvantaged, and LGBTQ communities are strongly encouraged to apply.