Communications Director, Democracy
The Hub Project
Marketing & Communications
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2023
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a nonprofit effort comprising a growing team of communications, research, operations, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We value diversity and inclusion and are committed to creating an environment where people from all backgrounds can participate, grow, and succeed in our organization. We believe we have a duty to use our power and privilege to contribute to transformational change to ensure our government is working for everyone and that all families have a fair shot.
Reports to: Senior Campaign Director
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range: $105k - $125k
The Hub Project is seeking a Communications Director to lead a talented team of communications professionals working to advance pro-democracy campaigns and accountability programs. The Communications Director will be responsible for developing a comprehensive earned media strategy and leading a team of individuals who will work closely together to manage rapid response, drive large-scale communications campaigns and events, and develop targeted messaging. This person will work closely with our campaign, digital, paid, partnerships, federal affairs, and polling leads to create communications plans that are integrated and high-impact.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Lead a collaborative and growing team, managing and training several communications professionals across levels and skill sets
- Develop and drive forward a comprehensive campaign communications plan, working collaboratively with the Campaign Director to identify and consult on short, medium and long-term strategies that will help us achieve our program goals
- Collaborate with colleagues managing our research, digital, campaign and operations efforts to advance the program and ensure streamlined execution
- Write salient campaign and issue messaging that leverages polling and other tools to sharpen and strengthen the narrative
- Drive earned media outreach and lead the team in directly pitching press and building relationships with national and local reporters across verticals
- Oversee our rapid response efforts, working closely with the team to identify opportunities, develop quick guidance on framing, and execute both traditional and creative rapid response tactics
- Draft, edit and guide the development of communications content, including statements, press releases, op-eds, LTEs, media resources, toolkits, press backgrounders, and more.
- Manage the press strategy for large-scale activations and events both in D.C. and in target districts across the country
- Help develop, grow and engage our council of storytellers; create ongoing press opportunities to elevate constituent voices
- Build and maintain strong relationships with national and local communications professionals and partners in the space
- Develop strategies for communications calendars and messaging arcs for campaigns to ensure that the right story is being told at the right time to the right audiences
- Design events, press conferences, and rallies to advance the goals of various campaigns
- Responsible for tracking and managing approved budgets
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- At least 7 years of demonstrated, relevant work experience in communications, campaign, issue advocacy, agency, political or other relevant settings
- Strong people management skills and the ability to work well on a collaborative and interdisciplinary team
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Robust network of media relationships and extensive experience pitching political press
- A deep understanding of earned media management and political news, and a creative approach to garnering press coverage
- Well organized with the ability to prioritize across multiple projects and deliver results under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to progressive causes and equity
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within team settings
- Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.
The Hub is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
COVID-19 Safety Considerations and Vaccination Policy
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, The Hub requires that any employee must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are expected to report to work in person; all individuals entering the Hub offices will be asked to produce vaccination documentation for entrance to the premises. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.
How to apply
To begin the application process, click "Apply For This Job." This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
See more open positions at The Hub Project
Something looks off?