Counsel & Senior Advisor
The Hub Project
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2023
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a nonprofit effort comprising a growing team of communications, research, operations, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We value diversity and inclusion and are committed to creating an environment where people from all backgrounds can participate, grow, and succeed in our organization. We believe we have a duty to use our power and privilege to contribute to transformational change to ensure our government is working for everyone and that all families have a fair shot.
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt (Salaried)
Position Type: On-going Regular
Salary Range: $170k - $250k
The Counsel & Senior Advisor of The Hub Project will play a critical role in safeguarding the organization's interests and managing its legal affairs in alignment with its mission. As in-house legal advisor, the Counsel will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and guidance to the Hub’s leadership team, ensuring that all legal matters are handled in a manner that supports the Hub’s mission and values. The Hub is a project of New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity.
The Counsel & Senior Advisor will also be responsible for collaborating with other legal partners internal and external, under the direction of New Venture Fund (NVF) General Counsel. They will work closely with these partners to ensure that the Hub Project receives the highest quality legal services and that all legal matters are handled efficiently and in a manner consistent with the Hub’s values and mission.
As a senior advisor to the Hub’s leadership team, the Counsel & Senior Advisor will be expected to provide strategic advice and support on a broad range of legal, program, and operational matters. They will work collaboratively with other senior leaders to develop and implement strategies that advance the Hub’s mission and goals.
Ultimately, the Counsel & Senior Advisor will be a key member of the leadership team, providing strategic legal advice and program guidance to support the Hub’s strategy. They will work collaboratively with all stakeholders to ensure the Hub is well-positioned to achieve its goals and objectives.
As Counsel & Senior Advisor, you will:
- Bring deep legal expertise and help the Hub navigate complex challenges and opportunities.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Hub and the General Counsel to the Project’s Fiscal Sponsor, New Venture Fund, on all legal and regulatory matters arising in carrying out the Hub’s activities
- Provide strategic guidance on programmatic policy development and implementation, ensuring that the Hub’s advocacy efforts are aligned with its mission and values.
- Provide initial legal review of all programs and projects to help inform advocacy campaign strategy
- Advise on contracts, including grant agreements, service agreements, and other contracts.
- Identify and develop efficient solutions to address potential legal issues and exposure, including but not limited to adherence to federal tax rules applicable to tax exempt organizations; federal, state, and local campaign finance laws; and federal, state, and local lobbying disclosure laws
- Help lead training and skills-building of staff around compliance, risk management, and reporting requirements
- Manage relationships with the Hub’s outside legal counsel and other legal service providers and serve as the liaison between outside advisors and NVF General Counsel
- Advise on legal matters related to fundraising, philanthropy, and grant-making
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure legal compliance across the Hub
- Stay up-to-date on relevant legal developments and trends, and for proactively advising the organization on how to adapt to changes in the legal landscape.
- The person holding this position may also work part-time for a coordinated project in Sixteen Thirty Fund and/or North Fund, 501(c)(4) organizations, under resource sharing agreements with New Venture Fund. The responsibilities under that position will be overseen by Sixteen Thirty Fund and/or North Fund respectively.
- 10+ years of experience as an attorney in an organizational or law firm setting
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in at least one of the jurisdictions where New Venture Fund is registered and the Hub operates
- Experience representing or working for nonprofit advocacy organizations and/or political organizations or committees (both 501(c)(3) & (c)(4))
- Knowledge of and experience with the law of tax-exempt organizations (IRS/IRC), campaign finance and election law (FEC), and/or regulation of advocacy, including lobbying registration, and reporting
- Knowledge of and/or experience with employment law, union contracts, contracts, and transactional law
- Ability to identify legal issues and risks in a wide range of areas, including tax-exempt organizations, campaign finance, First Amendment and defamation, intellectual property rights, and contract rights and obligations
- Ability to respond quickly to questions and issues with succinct and practical advice and to provide legal counsel geared to the goals and values of the organization
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and flexible environment where priorities shift and there are opportunities to learn new tactics, tools, and processes
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.
The Hub is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
COVID-19 Safety Considerations and Vaccination Policy
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, The Hub requires that any employee must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are expected to report to work in person; all individuals entering the Hub offices will be asked to produce vaccination documentation for entrance to the premises. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.
How to apply
To begin the application process, click "Apply For This Job." This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.