Senior Director, Strategic Communications
The Hub Project
Marketing & Communications, Sales & Business Development
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is a nonprofit effort comprising a growing team of communications, research, operations, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We value diversity and inclusion and are committed to creating an environment where people from all backgrounds can participate, grow, and succeed in our organization. We believe we have a duty to use our power and privilege to contribute to transformational change to ensure our government is working for everyone and that all families have a fair shot.
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director, Strategy & Special Projects
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time, exempt
Salary Range: $135k - $145k
The Strategic Communications Director will fill a key senior role at the Hub Project. Working closely with the Deputy Executive Director, this person will be charged with providing senior level consultancy on the organizing, development, and implementation of comprehensive communications, messaging, and media strategies for a multi-faceted organization running several prominent national and state communications-focused campaigns. The Strategic Communications Director will be the lead for organizational press outreach, and will implement the external messaging and external affairs strategy; playing a key role in the overall direction of the organization and our efforts to partner with allies to develop innovative partnerships. This person will help set the vision, tone and press presence for the organization’s overall mission and goals.
As Senior Director of Strategic Communications you will…
- Work closely with the Deputy Executive Director and Executive team to develop and implement the organization’s external communications strategy;
- Serve as a senior advisor to the communications staff on each of the Hub’s campaigns teams
- Provide strategic guidance and help develop special projects that have a press element and campaign communications plans;
- Strategically align press relations with national press, particularly journalists who cover politics, the economy, and democracy issues; exercise good judgment to prioritize communications priorities and opportunities;
- Pitch and respond to requests from reporters about our projects;
- Edit and oversee process of creating press materials;
- Maintain strong relationships with national communications professionals in the field and, when necessary, local communications professionals
- You have at least 8+ years of relevant experience in campaigns, issue advocacy, and political or other relevant settings.
- You have an extensive understanding of the media landscape and a range of experience interacting with different journalism outlets and media formats.
- You have experience creating and executing complex communications plans. ● You are a creative and strategic thinker.
- You have strong relationships with national political reporters.
- You are an excellent writer.
- You have a nose for news and a strong commitment to progressive politics. ● You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor, adventurous spirit, and an openness to evolving responsibilities. ● You are passionate about lifting up diverse voices and connecting with diverse audiences through communications and advocacy campaigns.
- You are committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy and ensuring broad participation in our democracy to deliver opportunity and dignity to all Americans.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (and their families). Employees are able to enroll in 401k retirement plan and are eligible for a 3% automatic contribution and up to a 3% employer match on 401k contributions. Employees are also eligible for pre-tax transportation benefits. Employees will receive 120 hours of vacation time, 80 hours of health leave, up to 2 days of casual leave, and 20 hours of volunteer leave annually. Employees will also receive 13 paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Employees are eligible for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave after 90 days of employment.
The Hub is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
COVID-19 Safety Considerations and Vaccination Policy
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, The Hub requires that any employee must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are expected to report to work in person; all individuals entering the Hub offices will be asked to produce vaccination documentation for entrance to the premises. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.
How to apply
To begin the application process, click "Apply For This Job." This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
See more open positions at The Hub Project
Something looks off?