Product and UX Designers
Trestle Collaborative provides hands-on support to movement organizations and tech companies to reinforce the technology scaffolding that enables our 21st century movements for justice, equity and progress.
We are a team of technologists — engineers, designers, product managers — who work with those who build and use technology for organizing, electoral campaigns and movement building to ensure they are getting the most possible impact from their technology investments.
We believe the people leading progress on the most pressing issues of our time — from racial justice to combating climate change to electing new generations of leaders — should not be hampered by a lack of resources to wield their tech tools. Trestle is here to help bridge those gaps.
HOW WE WORK
We help teams understand their technology gaps and needs, and offer recommendations, guidance, and support to help build capacity for strategic and thoughtful tech programs.
Our areas of expertise include organization tech strategy, product management, technology + application security, human-centered design, software engineering and product reliability.
At the core of our work, we offer short discovery sprints, where small multidisciplinary teams partner with an organization to assess the risks and challenges of a technology product, program or infrastructure, and to propose paths forward.
These sprints can range from a holistic look into how an organization is approaching its technology to a focused dive into a single topic, feature or product — such as the viability of an old system, the security risks of specific software, or the user experience of volunteer tools.
Beyond these engagements, we also offer four other areas of support:
- Advising and consulting for individuals making key technology decisions;
- Implementation guidance for technology projects;
- Career mentorship for technologists in the movement;
- Emergency response for crisis situations.
THINGS WE VALUE
We are a scrappy new organization, and as we build, we’re looking to these values to shape how we grow:
- Approach with a humble, curious and collaboration mindset;
- Equity, justice and liberation are paramount — to who we are, how we work and what we work for;
- Seek to add value without seeking credit;
- Surface the truth, through thoughtful and empathetic ways;
- Do no harm — seek to understand implications and impacts and tread with care;
- Don’t take ourselves too seriously — enjoy the work, the people and the mishaps along the way.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We are hiring part-time & full-time contractors to join us in solving some of the most critical technological challenges for the progressive movement. We are looking for mid-level and senior product managers, engineers and designers to contribute to short-term and long-term projects.
We are seeking folks who care deeply about the pressing issues of our day. We strongly encourage BIPOC, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.
Trestle is looking for designers from all backgrounds and walks of life who have experience and passion for building inclusive, human-centered, accessible digital products and services that are critical to the success of movement groups, non-profits, progressive candidates and committees.
- Contractor positions ranging from 15 - 40 hours a week.
- Compensation: $150/hr for part-time work and $16k/mo for full time work.
- Work to occur on a rolling basis, with a minimum commitment of 3 to 6 weeks.
- Work will be conducted 100% remotely.
- We’ll support you with community, feedback and support of a cohort of peer technologists working across the sector.
- We provide the tools and framework for the engagement, you bring your knowledge and willingness to work with partners to make their software better!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You’ll help political tech organizations and movement groups understand user needs, identify priority improvements to user experience, design flows and regularly collect and synthesize user feedback. Activities include:
- Embed with teams of high impact political and progressive technologists to quickly identify gaps in user experience and paths to addressing those needs;
- Conduct usability tests and user research on existing tools and designs;
- Map service blueprints and user journeys;
- Synthesize and make key product recommendations based on user feedback and your expertise;
- Ensure language and design of these products is accessible to people of all abilities;
- Iteratively design wireframes, mockups and interactions;
- Support content strategy;
- Make recommendations for inclusive, human-centered design processes going forward.
DESIGN SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for people with experience in any of the following design disciplines:
- UX/UI design (“Product design”)
- User research and usability testing
- Service design
- Content design
- Visual design for web, with an emphasis on accessibility
OTHER THINGS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- A strong commitment to working on teams within a values system that includes diversity, equity and inclusivity.
- Dedication to agile, human-centered and standard industry best practices for product development.
- Great communication skills, including the ability to jump in and communicate with new team members on short timelines. Must be comfortable synthesizing and explaining technology projects in layperson’s terms, both verbally and in writing.
- A positive attitude and the ability to work well under pressure. We’re looking for “can do” people who are comfortable working in busy/high-pressure situations.
Please complete the application at the link below.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity of staff and leadership. We are tracking identity in our applications and our hiring processes to ensure we are holding ourselves accountable to our values. The identity question in the application form is completely optional and cannot be used to determine specific hiring decisions.