National Distributed Organizer
The National Distributed Organizer position will ideally be based remotely. This position will work closely with and be directly supervised by Unemployed Workers United’s Director of Organizing and will also work closely with staff on partnered organizing campaigns on an assigned basis.
REPORTS TO: Director of Organizing KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Director of Organizing, Deputy Director of Organizing LOCATION: remote, flexible for ideal candidate APPLICATION DEADLINE: ASAP COMPENSATION: $65,000/year (benefits eligible)
- Building and managing distributed volunteer teams and structures for partner campaigns and the UWU organizing program
- Empower volunteer leaders to help run our programs, including moderating our Slack channel, hosting live volunteer trainings, manage peer-2-peer texting campaigns, and other duties assigned
- Building the size and capacity of our volunteer team, enabling us to supplement the mass-scale organizing efforts of our movement issues
- Creating a compassionate and rich culture in virtual spaces, and helping to share our political analysis with our volunteer base
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- 1-2 years of campaign experience as an organizer or in distributed organizing
- Experience working with distributed organizing tools or systems, such as Slack, Google Drive, etc
- Experience with volunteer leadership development and managing remote volunteer teams (or equivalent non-staff experience, volunteer organizing experience is welcome!)
- Coordinate with UWU Director of Organizing to provide deliverables towards organizing goals
- Supervise and moderate volunteer teams while building new systems, running volunteer team check-in calls, and empowering super volunteers
- Skilled with a spreadsheet, data savvy and comfortable with technology
- Experience with campaign/digital organizing tools welcome but not required*
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and aspart of a collaborative team
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and challenge people to take risks in order to make change
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary range is $65,000 per year. UWU offers a competitive benefits package including healthcare and generous time off policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a RESUME that describes your experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to email@example.com. Put “Application - National Distributed Organizer” in the subject line.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION:
This campaign is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, in programming, and in all other aspects of the work we do. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are deeply connected to our mission, our success, and to serving the American people. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building policies, procedures and services that uplift and protect everyone and do not lead to inequalities;
- Creating teams and relationships among staff, volunteers, and supporters that are reflective of the populations we serve;
- Increasing engagement of communities of color, women, those with disabilities, and all people historically shut out of electoral and caucus processes;
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities in internal leadership;
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusiveness;
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Changing the historical culture of inequity and exclusion pervasive in political campaigns.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The Campaign recruits, hires, trains, transfers, and promotes qualified candidates on the basis of individual merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.