The is an integral member of our finance team, responsible for handling and assisting in processing bi-weekly payrolls, as well as responding to questions, resolving issues and delivering quality employee service as we advance our mission on behalf of hospitality workers in the United States and Canada. At UNITE HERE, we engage in ambitious and innovative projects to support hospitality workers. Our financial and administrative teams based in New York are dedicated professionals with a strong commitment to our mission. If you are a creative problem-solver interested in learning more about non-profit and labor union financials, who can both manage routine operations and try new things in a fast-moving organization, you will love working with us.
As the Payroll Assistant, you will:
- Prepare all payroll related data necessary to process U.S. and Canadian payroll and meet submission deadlines.
- Report all Canadian expense reimbursements.
- Assist Supervisor adhering to proper accounting principles and UNITE HERE policies.
- Assist Supervisor with annual 401(k), pension and Workers’ Compensation audits.
- Prepare any changes to employee information such as W4 withholding, voluntary deductions and garnishments.
- Assist in preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
- Prepare manual payroll checks as required.
- Prepare and reconcile reports for voluntary deduction payments to third parties.
- Complete reconciliation and review of W2s, 941s, T4s and T2200s.
- Manage state tax registration.
- Perform other duties as determined by supervisor.
- College Degree or formal or on-the-job training in payroll practices. May include business school, vocational school, or college courses.
- Experience with ADP payroll products required; ADP Workforce Now experience preferred.
- Full knowledge of all payroll procedures.
- Excellent computer skills are required in Excel and other relevant applications.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Reliability in checking own work to ensure accuracy
- Connection with UNITE HERE mission
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays 0$ in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
Something looks off?