Customer Campaign Lead Organizer
Be a part of the movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers! We are seeking a committed leader to join our national team of Customer Campaign Organizers. Customer campaign organizing is a critical piece of our union's comprehensive campaigns. Our members are raising the standards of low-wage, service sector jobs and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action.
UNITE HERE is a progressive union that represents more than 270,000 workers employed in hotels, restaurants, airports, sports arenas, and convention centers throughout Canada and the United States. (www.unitehere.org)
Customer Campaign Lead Organizers research hotel, casino and food service companies’ customers, develop strategies to support workers organizing either in new worksites or in contract negotiation campaigns and work with workers and customer campaign organizers to conduct actions that support these campaigns. The Lead will lead and train customer organizers, workers, volunteers, and community on customer campaigns. The Lead will also work on UNITE HERE’s FairHotel program to identify and recruit FairHotel partners who want to patronize union hotels, avoid labor disputes, and lend support to UNITE HERE campaigns across the U.S. and Canada. (www.fairhotel.org)
The work is typically 50% - leading and training customer campaign organizers, 25% - direct campaigning and 25% - research, data collection, record keeping, and drafting reports and other campaign materials.
A Customer Organizing Lead reports to the Customer Organizing Director and works with the Campaign Director to carry out and drive all of the main responsibilities of customer organizing campaigns. We recommend that applicants have five years of community organizing in support of workers’ issues, union organizing, or corporate campaigning experience, and have participated in house visits, grievances, picket lines, and negotiations. Experience with a CRM or other mass-outreach database system is also helpful.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researching hotel and casino clients
- Developing and executing effective strategy and tactics
- Maintaining components of thriving customer organizing campaign (research, campaigning, regular actions and delegations, volunteer recruitment)
- Preparing reports and contributing effectively to strategy and planning meetings
- Producing campaign materials such as leaflets and newsletters
- Communicating with customers and supporters in-person, over the phone, and in writing
- Moving clients from labor disputed hotels and casinos
- Working with volunteers and community and labor allies
- Coordinating actions (i.e. public leaflet actions, solidarity actions, etc.)
- Record keeping (status reports, database, expenses, document management)
- Working with worker committees, union members, program leads, affiliate leaders, legal counsel, and union leaders from other departments
- Coordinating and leading large actions
- Passion for low wage and other worker struggles
- Exceptional energy and motivation
- Demonstrated ability to lead and train/strong team building skills
- 5 years or more of worker organizing or corporate campaigning experience -- boycott experience a plus
- Ability to use sound independent judgment within the context of an overall plan and structure
- Good self-organization, campaign organization skills, data management skills and can balance multiple priorities and assignments
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to use a database, prepare reports, and produce campaign materials such as leaflets and newsletters
- Second language skills a plus
- Persistent and optimistic in helping workers improve their lives
- Willingness to travel extensively, to work long and sometimes irregular hours, and relocate as necessary
- Can take feedback constructively and handle challenges responsibly
- Ability to work under pressure
- Driver’s license--willing and able to drive
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays $0 in premiums. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (both 401k and defined benefit pension), and generous paid time off.
New Hires will accrue a maximum of 5 personal days, 4 floating holidays, 8 named holidays, 15 vacation days and 8 sick days.
Please note that UNITE HERE requires all staff to be fully vaccinated unless granted a medical or religious exemption as set forth in EEOC guidelines.
Salary: Range $70,000-$90,000 based on experience