UNITE HERE seeks a to build and integrate the Union’s data warehouse to support the Union’s organizing campaigns and internal processes. Our technology teams based in the New York metropolitan area and across the country are dedicated professionals with a strong commitment to our mission. If you are a creative problem-solver looking to help build and support the next generation of labor union technology and try new things in a fast-moving organization, you will love working with us.
UNITE HERE is a progressive, member-driven, not-for-profit union, dedicated to organizing workers in the hospitality industry. Our mission is to improve workplace standards in hotels, casinos, airports, and cafeterias across the United States and Canada. You will be part of a team that empowers workers - primarily women and people of color - in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages, benefits, dignity, and rights at work.
Summary: The Data Engineer will maintain and enhance the Union’s data warehouse under the direction of the Lead Data Organizer. They may build reports dashboards and ad-hoc queries. The person must be comfortable working across departments and with users with diverse backgrounds and a wide range of tech skills.
Job Responsibilities In the support, maintenance, and development of the data warehouse:
- Manage UH’s data warehouse by building and monitoring workflows and bringing in and managing new data sources.
- Regularly check data for quality issues. Report issues and collaborate with lead to clean data and modify workflows.
- Build and run dashboards and reports in the data analytics platform and in PowerBI.
- Use the data warehouse to fulfill data requests from across the Union.
- Collaborate with team members and consultants as needed to support required applications.
- Create and implement design plans.
- Keep up to date with industry trends and technology developments.
Minimum Job Requirements/Qualifications:
- Motivation to work for economic and social justice
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science or a related field, or 2-5 years equivalent experience
- Comfortable with Excel, SQL, Python, pandas and Jupyter notebooks
- Experience using source control such as Git on a team project
- Creativity and strong problem-solving, time management and communication skills.
- Ability to work with guidance and also independently.
- Ability to work in person in our New York office. Hybrid work arrangements can be accommodated.
- Occasional travel to support Union activities
- Expectation of participation of core Union activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience building and maintaining a data warehouse
- Experience with Redshift, Power BI helpful
Full application must include cover letter for applicant to be considered. Please be sure to describe your motivation to work for economic and social justice.
Salary: $59,000-62,000 commensurate with experience
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package currently valued at $46,400 per employee with family coverage. Benefits include:
- 100% employer-paid family medical, dental, vision, prescription and life insurance coverage -
- 100% employer-paid contributions to a defined pension plan.
- FSA options for healthcare and dependent care
- 401k plan
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Generous paid time off including paid parental leave, 19 floating holidays, personal days and vacation days (prorated for length of service), and additional federal holidays. Automatic increases in PTO and other benefits with length of service.