The Payroll Supervisor manages bi-weekly payroll preparation/processing for both U.S. and Canadian employees, is responsible for the efficient functioning of the payroll unit and will establish procedures and protocols to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, provincial, local laws, and regulations.
At UNITE HERE, we engage in ambitious and innovative projects to support hospitality workers. Our financial and administrative teams are dedicated professionals with a strong commitment to our mission. If you are a creative problem-solver interested in learning more about non-profit and labor union financials, who can both manage routine operations and try new things in a fast-moving organization, you will love working with us. (www.unitehere.org)
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll.
- Ensures compliance with new tax jurisdiction, multi-state and provincial tax requirements.
- Performs a wide variety of record keeping and payroll processing activities, including wage and overtime payments, calculating and recording payroll taxes and deductions.
- Reviews work of Payroll Assistant and provides appropriate training and guidance on payroll procedures and technical issues.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory Federal, State and Local filings, tax levies, and garnishments.
- Prepares worker’s compensation reporting requirements, domestic partnership, pension audits, 401K Plan non-discrimination testing and other payroll related audits.
- Performs periodic internal audits of various payroll areas and prepare reports for internal and external reporting.
- Reviews Form W-4s, W2s, T-4s. Conducts quarterly and year-end 941s reconciliation.
- Reviews biweekly payroll registers and other standard reports.
- Maintains a functional payroll calendar to monitor routine tasks, special projects and deadlines.
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll analysis. Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Processes biweekly 401(k) and pension contributions and other internal payments related to payroll.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks and participating in professional payroll associations.
- Makes recommendation on potential changes impacting the Organization.
- Performs related duties as required.
- 5-year experience in Payroll Processing with 2-year Supervisory function.
- Extensive training and education in Payroll functions and management.
- Extensive technical and practical knowledge of Payroll processing and reporting and payroll, taxes at the federal, state and local levels.
- Extensive knowledge of worker’s compensation reporting requirements, domestic partnership, pension audits and 401K Plan non-discrimination testing.
- Experience in ADP required.
- ADP Certified Payroll Specialist preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to interface with all levels in the Organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adhere to deadlines.
Outstanding Candidates will also have:
- Experience in ADP Workforce Now payroll system
- Commitment to UNITE HERE mission
Salary: $73,000, Commensurate with Experience.
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package (valued at $46,400 for family coverage) and employee pays $0 in premium. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds (401k and defined benefit pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.