UNITE HERE seeks a dynamic Executive Assistant to support the principal officer of Local 19 in providing leadership for general local union affairs and in International Union duties in the UNITE HERE Department for Immigration, Diversity and Civil Rights.
At UNITE HERE, we engage in ambitious and innovative projects to support hospitality workers in the United States and Canada. Our Local 19 Bay-Area-based teams are dedicated to improving the lives of working people. If you are a creative problem-solver interested in non-profit and labor union administration, who can manage routine operations and try new things in a proactively campaigning organization, you will love working with us.
As an Executive Assistant your role will include (but is not limited to):
- Supporting the Business Manager and local union staff in developing plans and coordinating with other leaders and members on priority campaigns
- Developing written materials and presentations to document the work of the union
- Maintaining meeting schedules, answering and respond to incoming calls
- Assisting with planning meetings, events, and worker actions
- Assisting with travel arrangements
- Handling confidential and non-routine information with sensitivity
- Supporting budget oversight as requested
- Supporting other administrative and logistics operations as needed
- Traveling occasionally
Candidates for this position must have:
- Prior relevant work experience
- Proven organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and adapt to rapid changes
- Some flexibility with scheduling and work hours
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and exceptional interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook and Zoom
- Proven experience at working independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team to complete assignments.
Outstanding candidates will also have:
- Connection to the UNITE HERE mission
- Experience with or knowledge of labor unions or civil and/or immigrant rights activist experience.
- Second language skills (Spanish preferred).
Benefits: UNITE HERE offers a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage with no premium payment by the employee, plus retirement funds (401k and defined benefit pension) and generous paid time off.
Location: UNITE HERE Local 19 (2302 Zanker Rd, San Jose, CA 95131)
Reports to: Enrique Fernandez, Business Manager Local 19 UNITE HERE General Vice President for Immigration Diversity and Civil Rights
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.