Reports to: Chair and Executive Leadership
Location: Washington, DC area
Start Date: Immediately
VoteVets Action Fund is a 501(c)(4) organization, which advocates for active military, veterans, and their families. VoteVets is the largest network of progressive veterans, with over one and a half million supporters nationwide. Our policy work focuses on national security, health care for veterans, energy security, protecting the rights of those who serve, and upholding the Constitution.
VoteVets is seeking a Communications Director to continue building its national profile. The Communications Director will play a key role in developing and implementing the organization's communications strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starting, holistic thinker with keen political instincts and strong attention to detail who thrives in a fast-paced environment. Responsibilities include developing and maintaining relationships with the press; formulating and executing communication strategies that help provide a framework for evaluating and choosing policy options and advancing the organization and its work; honing the organization’s messaging across multiple platforms; drafting and editing public-facing communications, press releases, etc.
Qualifications and Skills
- 5 years’ experience, minimum, in a mid-level or senior communications role for an organization, government office, or public official;
- Experience managing a team of subordinates and coordinating a team of peers ;
- Preference given to candidates with military experience (in a military or civilian capacity), and/or members of military families, who understand both the technicalities of military service, as well asthe military and veterans’ culture;
- While military experience (in a military or civilian capacity) is not required, ideal candidates wouldhave an understanding of the technicalities of military service, as well as the military andveterans’ culture.
- Strong media contacts in the world of politics and veterans/military media a plus.
The salary floor for this full-time position is $100,000. Our competitive benefits package includes paid vacation, sick, and personal leave, health and dental insurance stipend (100%), and a 401k program including an employer match.
Please submit the items listed below to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of Three References
Veterans, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
VoteVets is an inclusive and welcoming workplace and recognizes diversity as a strategic asset to our team and our mission.
This position is available immediately. Applications are being accepted now and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.