Los Angeles/Orange County Senior Organizer
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
Working Families is seeking a Los Angeles and Orange County Senior Organizer who will lead our membership growth and development, electoral programs for endorsed candidates and staff our regional steering committee of member affiliates and member representatives in Los Angeles and Orange County. The Organizer is familiar with the political landscape including elected officials, community-based organizations, activists and labor. The Organizer will identify, recruit and support members and volunteer leaders to build a political home for progressive Californians and organize electorally in their region. The Organizer will work closely with allies, member organizations, candidates, elected officials and the WFP California team.
● Is a skilled organizer with experience in in-person neighborhood or labor organizing, coalition/alliance work, electoral/field organizing and volunteer management.
● Designs and executes initiatives to build a political home and journey for progressive Californians in region
● Builds and maintains robust relationships with core partners and coordinates coalition to execute campaigns that increase our electoral power in the region, and builds the overall power of our partner groups.
● Recruit, staff, and advise the Los Angeles and Orange Steering Committee, member leaders and volunteers.
● Facilitates processes to address opportunities and conflicts in the region while navigating competing interests, multiple stakeholders, complex political conditions and a range of possible solutions
● Manages volunteers and paid temporary organizing staff, and provides feedback on their performance.
● Evaluates the success of our organizing and electoral programs and proposes and implements necessary adjustments to methods and processes in response to conditions in the region.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Write, develop, and execute organizing plans that build the WFP’s membership base and leadership cadre
- Identify, recruit, train, and manage a diverse group of volunteers from Working Families-aligned organizations as well as the broader public
- Work with the WFP team to organize and facilitate training workshops that develop the skills, knowledge, and analysis of our members, leaders, and candidates
- Recruit, supervise and mentor Field Organizers in WFP field programs
- Organize in person and virtual events to engage WFP members and activists
- Work with WFP endorsed candidates and regional coalition to develop campaign plans that build our base and lead to victory
- Provide technical assistance/support for endorsed candidate voter outreach programs
- Manage and execute a volunteer voter outreach program, including door-to-door canvass, phone bank, text operations, and ballot parties
- Ability to assess changing political conditions and update plans accordingly
- Produce end-of-campaign reports to monitor progress toward goals and document outcomes for organizational partners, and candidates
- Determines goals, priorities and deadlines for the region
- When required, serve as a public spokesperson and represent the Party locally
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Skills and Qualifications
- At least four years of experience in neighborhood or labor organizing, electoral campaigns, and/or issue campaigns
- Experience working in Los Angeles/Orange and/or Inland Empire politics and grassroots organizations
- Management experience of door to door organizing and phone banks and proven ability to engage volunteers and supporters
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong facilitator with capability to moderate difficult conversations and decision making processes
- Ability to communicate effectively with strong personalities, allies and public officials
- Excellent political intelligence and judgment
- Drive, self-motivation, and follow through to advance our mission and objectives in remote work setting
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced setting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Gmail, GSuite, Slack and Airtable
- Knowledge of digital organizing tactics, including strategic use of social media platforms & mass email
- Fluent in PDI, VAN, Votivate, or other voter file software and ability to cut turf
- Experience working with phone bank (ThruTalk, CallHub, etc.) and texting (Spoke, Hustle, etc.) platforms strongly preferred
- Drivers License and Access to Car
- Bilingual Spanish/English, Korean/English, or Vietnamese/English is a plus
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $95,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Location: The position is a full-time, permanent role remotely based in the Los Angeles or Orange County area of California. It will require travel throughout the state of California.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a nonmanagerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Working Families Party policy requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodation under federal, state, and local law. Accommodations may not be possible for positions that require in-person contact with other staff or members of the public.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.
See more open positions at WFP
Something looks off?