State Campaigns Coordinator (NYC)
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The Campaigns Coordinator will support electoral work in the 2024 state legislative elections. This person will help recruit and develop state legislature candidates, support them in launching their campaigns, set up volunteer data and tools infrastructure on campaigns, train campaign staff, recruit and build relationships with volunteers, and develop the technical skills and leadership of our membership. This work takes place through the June 2024 primary election, and the position will end July 14, 2024.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit and develop candidates for 2024 state legislative elections
- Help launch campaigns with strong field, fundraising, and media infrastructure
- Build volunteer infrastructure for state legislative electoral campaigns; set up data, voter contact and volunteer management tools, ensuring data and volunteers are integrated back into the Party
- Recruit, train and develop volunteers into field leaders who can represent the Party and campaigns in canvasses, phone-banks and other volunteer events
- Develop the technical campaign skills of our Party membership
- Build deep relationships with our priority campaigns and candidates and serve as a day-to-day operations contact
- Engage in political organizing to broaden coalition support for our candidates; help campaigns craft narratives for press
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong field and volunteer coordination background; at least 2 campaign cycles is ideal
- This person must be a data and people person — able to spend some days in spreadsheets and voter files and other days calling and meeting with volunteers
- Familiarity with VAN, Votivate, Scale to Win, EveryAction, Mobilize, Action Network, Reach, Spoke, and other popular field tools
- Deeply relational and can build trust with people from different backgrounds and with different work styles
- Able to deliver critical feedback to a candidate and campaign staff with grace
- Experience fundraising small dollar donations is a plus
- Values alignment on our theory of change, which is that we are electing progressive champions to form a governing bloc to deliver material results for our people
- Operating effectively in a fast-paced environment with a lean team, able to collaborate, take direction and self-start, as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to, and experience in, centering equity and inclusion in your work - removing barriers to participation and engaging people across lines of race, class, age, language and geography, especially when it’s not the path of least resistance
What Else Should You Know
- Location: The position is full-time, temporary role based in the larger New York City metropolitan area (NYC, Long Island, lower Hudson Valley including Westchester) or Albany-Troy-Schenectady Capital region. Some travel across the state of New York is required. This role will end July 14, 2024.
- Salary: The salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-managerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Working Families Party policy requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodation under federal, state, and local law. Accommodations may not be possible for positions that require in-person contact with other staff or members of the public.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.
See more open positions at WFP
Something looks off?