California Communications Manager
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The Working Families Party is the grassroots political party of the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that cares for all of us. The WFP recruits, trains, and elects the next generation of progressive leaders.
WFP seeks a communications professional to tell our story in California and nationwide. The Comms Manager will work alongside the National Communications Director and the California State Director to develop and execute sophisticated media strategies that support our candidates, issues, and organization.
Applicants should have extensive experience with media relations and strategy, and they should possess excellent written and organizational skills. Applicants should be exceptional writers, have extensive experience with media relations and strategy, and have a proactive, can-do attitude and strong organizational skills.
Experience with California state or media is preferred. An ideal candidate is Spanish-language fluent and has experience working with Spanish-language press.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and drive local and state earned media strategies, including:
- Execute earned media strategies for WFP candidates, candidate slates, elected officials, and state and local issue campaigns;
- Managing crisis communications;
- Training staff and candidates in earned media strategies;
- Building relationships and pitching journalists for coverage, features, and interviews;
- Writing press releases and statements;
- Planning press events;
- Drafting opinion pieces;
- Writing talking points;
- Prepping WFP spokespeople;
- Creating and coordinating social media strategies, including paid media;
- Maintaining social media accounts;
- Tracking media hits for WFP and WFP candidates;
- Writing and disseminating email blasts to volunteers and activists.
- Assist the National Communications Director in developing national communications strategies to elevate WFP leaders as movement thought leaders;
- Training staff in media strategies, including social and earned media;
- Coordinate with state and national staff on California-specific social media strategies;
- Work with national WFP staff to Identify national media opportunities for California WFP.
Skills and Qualifications
- Qualifications (you might be a good fit for this position if you)
- Minimum of three years of communications experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Detail-oriented and highly organized;
- Ability to react quickly and manage competing priorities without dropping balls;
- Flexibility, patience, and willingness to “roll with the punches” as days can be unpredictable as news breaks or opportunities arise;
- Commitment to building a multiracial working-class movement to save the world;
- And finally, Spanish language skills are a big plus for this role.
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $90,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Location: The position is full-time and remotely based anywhere in California.
- Schedule: Full Time, Permanent
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a nonmanagerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.