GA WFP Digital Organizing Intern
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The goal of the Georgia Working Families Party Internship Program is to provide real-world skills and opportunities to students and emerging activists. Through the program, participants will engage in our electoral work—everything from our candidate and electoral efforts to our GOTV and operations. Our interns will become an integral element in bringing real change to this country in our fight for electoral justice.
Skills Training and Development
Development and training is a key component of this program. Our interns will leave the internship with the experience and skills to assist in building strong digital electoral and legislative programs.
Working with the WFP Interns program, we are also able to offer an opportunity to learn about the WFP organization as a whole and the broader progressive fight we are engaged in.
Key Training Objectives:
-How to build a campaign plan.
-Communications and messaging.
-How to build and run field programs.
-Building text and phone scripts.
-How to recruit and manage volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Digital Communications
- Communicate organizing opportunities and updates with GAWFP, events, and action alerts to GAWFP community via digital toolset.
- Write copy unique to each tool. That includes:
- Social: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Email: Action Network
- Broadcast SMS: Strive
- Event management: Mobilize
- Graphics: Canva and Figma
- Attend in-person events (protests, rallies, candidate forums, canvasses, phone banks), take pictures and videos, and/or livestream key protests, events to inform, energize, and engage our digital followers with campaigns (as applicable).
- Designs and implements engagement strategies to move GAWFP audience into deeper levels of activism on party projects, in collaboration with GAWFP team.
- Leads creation of content to engage supporters and drive them into distributed organizing and offline action.
- Produce and share bi-weekly digital reports sharing key metrics and updates on digital engagement and projects.
- Participate in and summarize weekly team meetings, and distribute concise accurate notes in a timely manner to team members.
- Provide additional administrative assistance and administrative tasks.
Systems + Research
Skills & Qualifications:
- Capability to be trained to utilize the following systems proficiently:
- SMS Broadcast Messages
- Action Network
- Familiarity with social media platforms, including, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Highly organized: You can keep a clear head and stay on top of your responsibilities, while managing multiple tasks and moving parts. You know how to prioritize and you’re skilled at creating and using systems that help you and others keep track of deadlines and manage time efficiently.
- Proactive problem-solver: You feel a sense of ownership and responsibility for your work. You don’t wait for someone to give you direction. You keep your eyes out for important gaps and areas of need and proactively seek solutions.
- Trustworthy and dependable: Once you commit to a task and a deadline, you follow through. You have a diligent work ethic and personal drive and you’re able to work independently.
- Clear and Proactive Communicator: If you need assistance to complete a task or if something comes up that might cause you to miss a deadline, you communicate the situation and what you need swiftly and clearly. You always communicate when tasks are completed. You are able to communicate clearly in writing and verbally.
- Adaptable and quick-thinking: You can stretch, grow, and course-correct as needed. You manage unexpected tasks and challenges well and you thrive in dynamic, fast-paced environments.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with a variety of staff, vendors, partners and WFP members.
- High comfort and strong understanding of administrative technology tools and communication platforms, including Google Suite, Zoom, Excel, and CRMs.
- Ability to work varied hours including nights, weekends and occasional holidays. This position requires regular weekend hours during election seasons.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Demonstrate ability to multitask and change gears quickly and nimbly in a campaign environment.
- Must have access to strong wifi and good phone reception.
- Must have a strong commitment to WFP’s political mission and goals.
- Interest in political action, social justice, organizing, community service.
- Ability to attend and staff in-person meetings and events.
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: $20/hour
- End Date: December 15, 2023
- Weekly Hours:15 - 25 hrs a week
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-managerial, temporary role eligible to join WFP’s staff bargaining unit only if extended beyond six months of employment. WFP’s union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.