Southern California Organizer
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
Working Families is seeking an Organizer based in Southern California who will support our membership organizing and electoral programs for endorsed candidates and staff our regional steering committee of member affiliates and member representatives in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange and Inland Empire counties. The Organizer will identify, recruit and support members and volunteer leaders to organize electorally in their region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Grow and build our membership base through in person events, text/call programs, digital organizing and attending events in region
- Build a base of activists to support our electoral priorities in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange and Inland Empire counties
- Support facilitation of our regional steering committee of member organization affiliates and member representatives in Los Angeles, Orange and Inland Empire counties
- Reach party-building and organizing goals in an assigned region
- Support team communications, monthly activist community events, and other WFP events
- Develop knowledge and analysis of the political and community landscape in assigned regions of the state.
- Lead and recruit in person canvasses, virtual phone and text banks events for endorsed candidates in Los Angeles, Orange and Inland Empire counties
- Coordinate with member affiliates and coordinate members to collaborate coordinated campaigns that build our electoral infrastructure and capacity to ultimately win elections and build the power of the multiracial working class in Los Angeles, Orange and Inland Empire counties
- Manage contact lists and maintain up to date records in our database
- Generate and share digital content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Discord and ActionNetwork
- Lead a dynamic in person and virtual program to welcome new members into the Party through relational organizing, welcome gatherings and pipelines into membership meetings
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum two years of in-person or virtual electoral/campaign or neighborhood-based organizing experience
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- Self-starter with a strong commitment to in-person organizing to build or mission and objectives
- Proven ability to engage volunteers and supporters with commitment to build a political journey for our membership
- Ability to build and nurture relationships with local college/university student groups, political clubs and grassroots organizations and other social justice groups
- Experience working with a diverse group of volunteers and supporters across all demographics and backgrounds
- Knowledge of digital organizing tactics, including strategic use of social media platforms and email for organizing members/volunteers including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Slack, Discord and EveryAction Network platforms
- Basic computer skills, including Excel, Powerpoint, Gmail, GSuite, Slack and Airtable
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage and meet the technical aspects of a project including logistics and paperwork
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced setting
- Drivers License and access to a car
- Experience working in labor or with grassroots organizations in Los Angeles, Orange and/or Inland Empire counties
- Political intelligence and judgment
- Fluent and/or experience working with PDI, VAN, Votivate, or other voter file software and ability to cut turf
- Experience working with phone bank tools including predictive dialer, broadcast SMS messaging (ThruTalk, CallHub, Hubdialer, Upland, Spoke, Hustle, etc.)
- Experience using EveryAction for tracking volunteer activity
- Strong command of Excel or other spreadsheet software
- Bilingual Spanish/English, Mandarin/Cantonese/English, Korean/English, or Vietnamese/English is a plus
Preferred (but Not Required) Skills:
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $70,000. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plan options; professional development funding; and remote work support.
- Location: The position is a full-time, permanent role remotely based in the Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange or Inland Empire counties of California. It will require travel throughout the state of California.
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non managerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.