Pennsylvania Political Strategist
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
About the Working Families Party
The Working Families Party (WFP) is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
We believe that no matter where we come from or what our color, most of us want the same things. We want to earn enough to thrive, not just survive, and leave a better future for our kids. We want healthy food and clean water, safe neighborhoods and a safe world. We want to be free.
The Working Families Party is regular people coming together across our differences to make a better future for us all. We’re a multiracial party that fights for workers over bosses and people over the powerful. We want an America which realizes the promise – unrealized in our history – of freedom and equality for all.
The Working Families Party is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented, and multi-talented individual to fill the critical role of Philadelphia Political Strategist. This is a full-time, temporary, exempt position.
The ideal candidate will possess electoral campaigning experience; with at least one cycle of campaign management experience. This person will be a fast learner, adept at juggling multiple priorities and savvy and skilled at electoral campaigning. This role is particularly good for someone with campaign experience who is looking to apply those skills in an environment that is more permanent and excited about creating lasting infrastructure rather than moving jobs each cycle.
The Pennsylvania Political Strategist will serve as an advisor for WFP priority campaigns across the city, and will work with the broader Pennsylvania and regional teams to develop political strategy and relationships across elected officials, partner organizations, candidates and other stakeholders.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with priority candidates and campaigns to develop their political and electoral strategy, including helping to create budgets, political plans, policy documents coordinating press outreach, etc.
- Help manage and train staff that work on our priority races, especially on technical skills.
- Work closely with political and organizing staff who cover Pennsylvania to execute our political strategy.
- Work with partner organizations such as membership organizations and unions to align support behind WFP priority races.
- Works closely with Mid Atlantic Political Director to hone electoral skills and strategies, keeps skills sharp by reading research and connecting with peers in the industry.
Skills and Qualifications
- 2-3 years of electoral or organizing experience.
- Willing to roll up their sleeves and pinch hit in a variety of ways to support our endorsed candidates.
- Experience drafting campaign plans, finance plans, budgets, and other high level strategic campaign documents.
- Experience with campaign tech tools like VAN, Scale to Win and Mobilize.
- Strong relationship building skills, and an ability to work with candidates, staff, consultants, donors, and other key stakeholders, and a demonstrated ability to recruit allies into winning coalitions.
- The ability to quickly assess new situations and make strategic judgements.
- The ability to balance competing priorities and intelligently prioritize one’s time on the most essential work that advances the Party’s agenda.
- The ideal candidate will possess significant electoral campaigning experience; has managed campaigns or significant independent expenditure efforts
- Experience will serve as a high-level advisor
Nice to haves:
What Else Should You Know
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $75,000 annually. The final salary will be determined based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer a robust benefit package for full time employees including paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; flexible spending accounts; and remote work support. Benefits are available after the first month of employment.
- Location: The position is full-time and based in Philadelphia.
- Schedule: Full Time, Temporary end date is 1/1/2025
- Union Affiliation: WFP is a unionized workplace. This is a non-managerial role eligible to join WFP's staff bargaining unit after six months of employment. WFP's union employees are represented by the New York Metropolitan Area Joint Board, Workers United union.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application Accommodation" to request such an accommodation.