Education Programs Associate
Reports to: Manager of Education Programs
Location: The Education Programs Associate may work remotely. This position can also be based in GLSEN’s headquarters in New York City or from our Washington DC office. This position will require domestic travel (20%).
Annual Salary: $58,500
GLSEN is a national education 501c3 non-profit organization, leading the movement to create safe and inclusive K-12 schools for all since 1990. We work tirelessly to ensure that all children can have a high quality education where they are safe and affirmed. We envision a world in which every child student learns to respect and accept all people, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression, and in turn is respected and accepted themselves.
Each year, GLSEN reaches millions of students and educators via action at the national, state, and local levels, with leadership from a national network of volunteer GLSEN chapters. Over three decades, GLSEN has improved conditions for LGBTQ students across the United States and launched an international movement to address LGBTQ issues in education and promote respect for all in schools. For more information on GLSEN’s policy advocacy, student leadership initiatives, school-based programs, research, and professional development for educators visit www.glsen.org.
We are looking for individuals willing to think boldly about the future of K-12 education and how best to serve LGBTQ+ students. GLSEN seeks colleagues committed to advancing the needs, opportunities, outcomes, and success of LGBTQ+ students as the foundation for success for all students. We need individuals that work to build and strengthen partnerships with organizations that hold and reflect GLSEN’s commitment to advancing racial, gender and disability justice and have a track record of working across differences to advance equitable and just outcomes in education for students experiencing marginalization. We need not just your passion, but your talents, skills and willingness to do the hard work to build a more equitable future for LGBTQ+ students.
The Education Associate will be a part of GLSEN’s Education and Youth Programs team, which ensures that GLSEN continues to provide high quality educational resources and programs that increase the capacity of K-12 educators to create and sustain safe, respectful and inclusive school environments for LGBTQ students. This position will work with our Education Manager, and provide coordination and technical assistance to programs that support educators, such as GLSEN’s Training of Trainers Professional Development program and Rainbow Library Summit.
- Administrative coordination of the Training of Trainers Professional Development program for supporting educators in K-12 schools
- Administrative coordination of GLSEN’s Professional Development Coordinators annual summit
- Assist in coordination and tracking of and support for GLSEN’s Professional Development coordinators year round
- Support the day-to-day operations of GLSEN’s capacity building programs for GLSEN volunteer network
- Providing support and managing the educator inbox
Support Content Development
- Tracking of all professional development done by PD Coordinators
- Provide technical assistance to GLSEN’s Professional Development Coordinators, including resource distribution
- Support with mailing of resources to educators and GLSEN Chapter leaders
- Review newly created resources for suggestions, questions, and grammar
- Maintain GLSEN’s suite of interactive digital resources for GLSEN’s Professional Development Coordinators
- Support GLSEN’s online engagement efforts with K-12 Educators and GLSEN’s Professional Development Coordinators, particularly via social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse groups
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills, logistics coordination or event planning
- Lived experience with LGBTQ communities strongly encouraged to apply
- Knowledge of the U.S. education system, current LGBTQ issues in schools
- Commitment to social justice and knowledge of anti-oppression/anti-racist work
- B.A. and/or 1-3 years experience in a relevant field
- Ability to manage time efficiently and support multiple projects at once
- Exceptional attention to detail and consistency in follow-up
- Working knowledge of social media and google drive and sheets
- Facilitation/training and logistics coordination experience a plus
The Education Associate primarily works in the office. Occasionally travels (15% or more) within the United States.
Something looks off?