GLSEN Arizona Operations and Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: GLSEN Arizona Director
Location: Phoenix, Arizona with some travel within the state
Annual Salary: $62,000 (plus benefits)
About GLSEN Arizona
GLSEN and its 40 local chapters work at the local, district, state, and federal level to create systems change in K-12 education in the U.S. Our work has produced measurable improvements in the lives of LGBTQ students in the United States, and helped establish new norms of support for LGBTQ students in the education world.
Since 2002, GLSEN Arizona has worked to create safer and more affirming K-12 schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. We train educators and school administrators, support and strengthen student-led Gender/Sexuality Alliance (GSA) clubs, and work with school communities, lawmakers, and local stakeholders to reform and implement evidence-based LGBTQ-inclusive and affirming education law as well as school policies, practices and curriculum.
As part of the GLSEN National Chapter Network, we are in the midst of a major institutional transformation process which is striving to advance racial, gender, and disability justice. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment and believe that every member of our team enriches our diversity by contributing in a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
GLSEN Arizona Chapter is seeking a dedicated and passionate Operations and Volunteer Coordinator to support our mission of ensuring safe and inclusive schools for LGBTQ+ students. This role is crucial to our organization, as it involves providing administrative and operational support, coordinating volunteers, and supporting events to further our cause. This position that reports directly to the GLSEN Arizona Director and works closely with the entire Arizona program team. If you have experience in nonprofit operations, event coordination, and a commitment to LGBTQ+ issues, we encourage you to apply.
Operations and Administrative Support (approximately 35%):
Provide administrative assistance to chapter leadership, including record-keeping, tracking and reporting on finance and expenditure, office organization, office maintenance, and vendor relationship management.
- Maintain accurate volunteer and donor records using the organization's CRM system.
- Monitor and maintain chapter resources, including office supplies, event materials, and equipment.
- Ensure that all chapter activities and volunteer engagements align with GLSEN's policies and guidelines.
Event Coordination (approximately 30%):
- Assist in planning and executing chapter events, including workshops, conferences, and fundraising activities, coordinating logistics, and ensuring volunteer participation.
Volunteer Coordination & Engagement (approximately 35%):
- Screen, orient through appropriate training tools, and manage volunteers to support various GLSEN Arizona programs and events, including tabling events, outreach activities, community education events, and fundraising activities.
- Foster a positive and inclusive volunteer community by maintaining regular communication, providing training and support, creating and maintaining a sense of community, and recognizing volunteer contributions.
- Work closely with the chapter leadership, Core Team, and volunteers to align volunteer efforts with the chapter's strategic goals and initiatives.
- 3-5 years experience working in nonprofit operations/administration, event coordination, and volunteer support and coordination role
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Commitment to LGBTQ+ issues and GLSEN's mission.
- Commitment to social justice and knowledge of anti-oppression/anti-racist work.
- Proficiency in Google Workspace Tools and database management.
- Previous experience in Salesforce is a plus
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and volunteers both remotely and in-person.
- Limited travel - up to 10% within the State of Arizona may be required with no more than 5% travel to other parts of the United States.
- Occasional after hours and weekend work required for event support and/or participation (e.g. retreats).
GLSEN offers a generous benefits package, including: paid time off, paid holidays, medical, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability; life insurance; employee assistance program; and a 401k plan with increasing employer contributions based on staff tenure.
GLSEN seeks to facilitate a healthy and safe work life balance and offers flexible work schedule hours and locations that align with the demands of job responsibilities and employee needs.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit their resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBTQ+ persons to apply.