Advertising Associate Media Director (Electoral & Advocacy)
M + R
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2021
We’re looking for an Associate Media Director to join our Advertising Area in a role focused on electoral advertising. (This is not a cycle position.)
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We are a fast-paced, deadline-driven consulting firm that only works with nonprofit clients who are essential to advancing the cause of justice, alleviating suffering, and solving the greatest challenges we face.
- Commitment to Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion (AEI). We envision an anti-oppressive workplace that ensures an inclusive employee experience, promotes equitable outcomes for staff, and supports clients to center accessibility and anti-racism in their programs.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who work collaboratively to get things done and help you do your best.
- An organization that embraces change. We strive to improve and adapt and always seek new ways that we can contribute to a just, inclusive, and sustainable world. We are also continually working on making M+R a better place for our staff.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run innovative and strategic online advocacy, digital organizing, and electoral campaigns that build grassroots power and create lasting change. We partner with progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty – think Planned Parenthood, NRDC, big national unions, healthcare advocacy groups, and more. We work exclusively with outside organizations, not candidate campaigns, because our goal is not just to win an election but to build long-term organizing infrastructure that can hold people in power accountable.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations and politicians accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might build power. We have a particular focus on developing new models to mobilize infrequent voters of color.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Develop smart digital advertising plans to meet organizing, advocacy, acquisition, persuasion, motivation, and turnout goals, for electoral and issue advocacy campaigns.
- Manage a team of ads managers to implement, manage and QA digital advertising campaigns across our clients. This includes display, video, mobile, search, and Facebook advertising.
- Work closely with M+R’s digital organizing team to develop and execute integrated campaigns to reach electoral and organizing goals.
- Drive client strategy and advertising planning meetings. Confidently present ideas and results to clients.
- Review and monitor media buys - digging in on performance and settings in multiple ad platforms to make recommendations for adjustments to optimize results.
- Evaluate digital advertising performance – review reports and produce analysis and recommendations on campaigns.
- Provide guidance to graphic designers and client teams on effective creative and copy.
- Negotiate terms with advertising vendors, review and finalize contracts, approve invoices for all media buys.
- Research new advertising venues and stay abreast of online advertising trends; develop and maintain relationships with vendors and partners.
- Consistently use findings to inform best practices and train staff.
- Assign and review junior staff deliverables -- providing feedback, coaching, and guidance at every step.
- Drive conversations and processes that help build inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly, including carefully tracking all of your hours.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 5-7 years of digital advertising experience that includes leading digital advertising strategy and media planning for clients in an agency setting.
- At least one cycle working on a political campaign, at a political organization, or political firm.
- Experience running and measuring the impact of persuasion or awareness campaigns.
- Experience running integrated campaigns including paid social, programmatic display and video, and search.
- Experience finding and targeting harder to reach audiences.
- In-depth understanding of how to optimize performance in digital platforms to meet client KPIs, including experience actually pulling the levers yourself.
- Experience developing effective ad creative, in particular geared towards motivating, recruiting or persuading voters.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
We love hearing from anyone who strives to make the world a better place! Not sure if you meet all of the qualifications? There is no harm in applying! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply!
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to gain trust and give respect to others through honesty, integrity, kindness, empathy, and authenticity.
- Acute attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills, including learning new technologies.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that feedback is part of the learning process.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Able to work within equitable and inclusive decision making models in moving decisions and initiatives forward.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience developing and executing strategy for direct response campaigns, whether recruiting supporters or supporting organizing efforts through ads.
Salary and Benefits:
- This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary for this position is $103,778. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Staff at M+R who successfully meet their performance expectations have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
- Three weeks vacation, three personal days, and 15 paid sick days;
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with premiums fully paid for by M+R for individual employees;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Quarterly discretionary profit-sharing contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely anywhere within the United States and its territories with broadband internet;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit.
We also offer a generous benefits package:
The fine print:
M+R staff have the option to be fully remote within the United States, or work from one of M+R’s office locations (Washington DC, New York City, or Oakland).
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
Our Hiring Process:
We aim to be transparent and efficient in our hiring process. Each question you will be asked throughout our hiring process ties directly back to one of the skills and experiences listed above. In each interview, you will be asked to provide examples of these skills and experiences or how you would draw on your experience to handle a scenario commonly found at M+R. Our typical hiring process includes:
1) Phone Interview
2) Written Skills Assessment
3) Video Interview(s)
4) Reference Check
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to being an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization where all staff feel welcomed, valued, and empowered, resulting in meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experiences throughout their careers here. We work to center our AEI values in all aspects of our work, so our culture, clientele, policies, and practices are reflective and affirming of people -- inclusive of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, immigration status, citizenship status, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.