Senior Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
M + R
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2021
We’re looking for a Senior Financial Planning & Analysis Manager to join our Shared Services Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We are a fast-paced, deadline-driven consulting firm that only works with nonprofit clients who are essential to advancing the cause of justice, alleviating suffering, and solving the greatest challenges we face.
- Commitment to Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion (AEI). We envision an anti-oppressive workplace that ensures an inclusive employee experience, promotes equitable outcomes for staff, and supports clients to center accessibility and anti-racism in their programs.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who work collaboratively to get things done and help you do your best.
- An organization that embraces change. We strive to improve and adapt and always seek new ways that we can contribute to a just, inclusive, and sustainable world. We are also continually working on making M+R a better place for our staff.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- The Senior Financial Planning and Analysis Manager is part of our Shared Services Area -- composed of five specializations: finance, operations, people, marketing, and AEI. We ensure M+R is positioned to deliver outstanding services to clients such as Planned Parenthood, Feeding America, International Rescue Committee, NRDC, and many more.
- Our Finance team is a group of professionals dedicated to processing, reporting, and analyzing the firm’s financials with accuracy and clarity.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Analyze the ongoing financial performance of the firm and its individual lines of business.
- Develop models to assess the economic impact of business decisions, such as those related to hiring, compensation, and hourly client rates.
- Run M+R’s annual budgeting and revenue goal-setting processes, including ongoing budget management.
- Create financial reports and analyses, and make financial recommendations to help the firm make sound business decisions.
- Create and deliver financial presentations to firm leaders.
- Facilitate meetings related to the financial strategy of the firm and individual lines of business.
- Own firmwide financial communications.
- Own M+R’s business planning software, Workday Adaptive Planning, including knowledge of all aspects of the system, data accuracy, and consultant relationship.
- Drive conversations and processes that help build inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly, including carefully tracking all of your hours.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 7-9 years of finance-related work, including at least 6 years of experience in financial planning and analysis.
- Experience preparing budgets and financial forecasts.
- Experience explaining variances from budget, including the ability to dig into the data to identify root causes, and present a clear story behind the numbers alongside recommended next steps.
- Experience communicating financial concepts, report highlights, and recommendations to a broad audience.
- Demonstrated experience as a strong cross-functional leader able to build relationships with internal stakeholders and senior management.
- Experience using financial planning software to manage budgets and build reports.
- Proficiency using Excel or similar tools for financial analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
We love hearing from anyone who strives to make the world a better place! Not sure if you meet all of the qualifications? There is no harm in applying! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply!
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to gain trust and give respect to others through honesty, integrity, kindness, empathy, and authenticity.
- Acute attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills, including learning new technologies.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that feedback is part of the learning process.
- Strong ability to relay your ideas clearly verbally and in writing.
- Able to work within equitable and inclusive decision making models in moving decisions and initiatives forward.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience with Adaptive, Unanet, and Sage Intacct.
- Experience with using formulas in Google Sheets.
- Experience doing financial planning and analysis for a professional services firm.
- Experience with project management tools such as Asana, Basecamp, Trello, or Jira.
- Experience with digital tools for collaboration such as Slack and Google Apps.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
- This is an exempt status position. The salary for this position is $112,208. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. If your years of relevant experience for this position are more than what is required above, we may offer a higher starting salary to reflect that, and compensation will be discussed more in depth in the initial interview. Staff at M+R who successfully meet their performance expectations have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
- Three weeks vacation, three personal days, and 15 paid sick days;
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with premiums fully paid for by M+R for individual employees;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Quarterly discretionary profit-sharing contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely anywhere within the United States and its territories with broadband internet;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit.
We also offer a generous benefits package:
The fine print:
M+R staff have the option to be fully remote within the United States, or work from one of M+R’s office locations (Washington DC, New York City, or Oakland).
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
Our Hiring Process:
We aim to be transparent and efficient in our hiring process. Each question you will be asked throughout our hiring process ties directly back to one of the skills and experiences listed above. In each interview, you will be asked to provide examples of these skills and experiences or how you would draw on your experience to handle a scenario commonly found at M+R. Our typical hiring process includes:
1) Phone Interview
2) Written Skills Assessment
3) Video Interview(s)
4) Reference Check
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to being an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization where all staff feel welcomed, valued, and empowered, resulting in meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experiences throughout their careers here. We work to center our AEI values in all aspects of our work, so our culture, clientele, policies, and practices are reflective and affirming of people -- inclusive of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, immigration status, citizenship status, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.