Senior Staffing Operations Manager
M+R Strategic Services
New York, NY, USA · Washington, DC, USA · Boston, MA, USA · Remote · Oakland, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2023
We’re looking for a Senior Staffing Operations Manager to join our Operations Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We are a fast-paced, deadline-driven consulting firm that only works with nonprofit clients who are essential to advancing the cause of justice, alleviating suffering, and solving the greatest challenges we face.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who work collaboratively to get things done and help you do your best.
- An organization that embraces change. We strive to improve and adapt and always seek new ways that we can contribute to a just, inclusive, and sustainable world. We are also continually working on making M+R a better place for our staff.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- The Senior Staffing Operations Manager is part of our Shared Services Area -- composed of five specializations: finance, operations, people, marketing, and anti-racism, equity, and inclusion (AEI). We ensure M+R is positioned to deliver outstanding services to clients such as Planned Parenthood, Feeding America, International Rescue Committee, NRDC, and many more.
- M+R brings experience, talent, and unshakeable dedication to our clients through fundraising and supporter engagement, movement building and issue advocacy, and message and brand development. Our services include: Campaign Strategy, Digital Fundraising & Advocacy, Digital Advertising, Digital Organizing, Media Relations, and Social Media.
- Day-to-day, we in the Shared Services Area focus on legal and regulatory compliance and risk management, operational policies and procedures, contract processing, and IT tools and security, as well as hiring, developing, and retaining competent, dedicated staff. We help cultivate high-functioning teams at M+R so that we work collaboratively, efficiently, and effectively.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Leverage a deep understanding of three key areas -- the services M+R provides to its clients, the requirements of M+R’s specific client engagements, and an understanding of the aspirations, strengths, and development needs of M+R’s staff -- to assign staff to client accounts and work and provide recommendations that efficiently leverage available staff capacity and skill sets.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date information in our staff capacity management database and develop processes so that capacity planning is reliable and efficient.
- Lead analysis and reporting of key staffing, utilization, and professional development metrics for supervisors and firm leadership.
- Collaborate closely with our Performance Management and Recruitment + Hiring Teams on promotion pathways, headcount planning, and more.
- Drive conversations and processes that help build inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly, including carefully tracking all of your hours.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 7-9 years of administrative, operations, and/or human resources experience ideally in a professional services environment, with at least 3 years making work assignments in a professional services firm.
- Ability to assimilate information quickly in order to grasp larger concepts as well as details.
- Experience gathering, organizing, and recalling sensitive personnel and work assignment information.
- Comfort working in collaboration with supervisors and other senior staff.
- Ability to balance short- and long-term priorities and goals.
- Established proficiency in pulling and interpreting data.
- Experience working effectively with people to implement processes and tools that enable scale, using feedback and results to constantly improve on what is built and delivered.
- Demonstrated ability to run meetings to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns, and directly supervising and coaching staff.
We love hearing from anyone who strives to make the world a better place! Not sure if you meet all of the qualifications? There is no harm in applying! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply!
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to gain trust and give respect to others through honesty, integrity, kindness, empathy, and authenticity.
- Acute attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills, including learning new technologies.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that feedback is part of the learning process.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience with Google Apps, Slack, and Asana.
- Experience with Workday Adaptive Planning.
- Experience working in organizations that prioritize employee growth and advancement.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
Salary and benefits:
- This is an exempt position. The salary for this position is $111,650. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. If your years of relevant experience for this position are more than what is required above, we may offer a higher starting salary to reflect that, and compensation will be discussed more in depth in the initial interview.
- Three weeks vacation as well as 15 paid sick days and three personal days;
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with premiums fully paid for by M+R for individual employees;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Quarterly discretionary profit-sharing contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely anywhere within the United States and its territories with broadband internet;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit.
We also offer a generous benefits package:
The fine print:
M+R staff have the option to be fully remote within the United States, or work from one of the following M+R office locations:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
Our Hiring Process:
We aim to be transparent and efficient in our hiring process. Each question you will be asked throughout our hiring process ties directly back to one of the skills and experiences listed above. In each interview, you will be asked to provide examples of these skills and experiences or how you would draw on your experience to handle a scenario commonly found at M+R. Our typical hiring process includes:
1) Phone Interview
2) Written Skills Assessment
3) Video Interview(s)
4) Reference Check
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to being an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization where all staff feel welcomed, valued, and empowered, resulting in meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experiences throughout their careers here. We work to center our AEI values in all aspects of our work, so our culture, clientele, policies, and practices are reflective and affirming of people -- inclusive of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, immigration status, citizenship status, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
See more open positions at M+R Strategic Services
Something looks off?